The Ferg series encourages food, friendly discourse

Over the weekend, the Ferguson Center took a road trip to Greensboro so participating students could make and eat pie. The trip was a part of an event series for University of Alabama students sponsored by the Ferg entitled “On the Town with the Ferg.”

The series started a few years ago and aims at providing students with fun, educational and service opportunities in Tuscaloosa and surrounding areas. The recent PieLab trip is just one of the many places students have a chance to see and interact with the people in their community.

So far, the student reaction to the series has been positive.

“Students love the fact that the University gives them the opportunity to not worry about transportation and is taking the time to realize that education just isn’t inside the classroom,” said Kathy Hasselwander, the student planner for the series. “They can interact with businesses and people they wouldn’t have thought they’d be able to.”

For UA student Erin Bell, an international studies major, the trip to PieLab was her first.

“It had pie-making, which definitely caught my eye,” Bell said. “And the PieLab is based on an interesting concept, which I would like to see to understand.”

The concept of PieLab is that pie, plus ideas, equals conversation. In turn, conversation plus design equals social change. The restaurant came about during an economically difficult time for Greensboro. The University, along with the Center for Community-Based Partnerships, decided to create a place where people from all walks of life can come in and enjoy good food and good company.

“It’s kind of a local hangout,” Hasselwander said. “And the thing that made it famous was that it helped a struggling community turn around.”

“On the Town with the Ferg” is only open to current UA students, and there are no fees. The University provides the transportation to and from all events.

The series isn’t restricted to food, either. Last spring, students attended a Braves game and took a bus to the Mississippi State away game in the fall.

“Our next [trip] will be a collaboration with the Druid City Arts Festival,” said Hasselwander.

In April, the event series plans to head to All Fired Up in Northport, where students can create and decorate ceramics or tiles.

For tickets to any “On the Town with the Ferg” event, go to uaferguson.tix.com and register.