LessThanUThink offers tips for spring break safety

With many students at the University prepping for one of the most anticipated breaks of the year, some organizations at the school have planned events to bring the beach closer to campus.

LessThanUThink, a campaign created by students raising awareness of binge drinking by college-aged students, will be sponsoring beach-themed events today.

The events will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Ferguson Center, B.B. Comer and the Quad. Members of LTUT will distribute free promotional items.

Damien McGhee, a freshman majoring in general business, said he has spring break plans, and that he is familiar with the expected tourist flow and safety concerns.

“I plan on going back home to Miami to visit the beach and to hang out with friends and family,” McGhee said. “I’m worried about underage teens drinking and making bad decisions.”

He was also happy that LTUT would be hosting the planned events on campus to bring more knowledge to underage drinking for college students.

“Our purpose is to raise awareness about the spike of underage binge drinking by college students during certain times of the year, such as spring break,” said Maria Sanders, director of LTUT’s budget and logistics. “This campus will address that issue here on campus with these events.”

McGhee was just one among many other students concerned with the safety of their fellow peers.

However, freshman Josh Goldstein said he is not as concerned about safety during his spring break.

“I feel like the majority of people will make wise choices,” Goldstein said. “I usually go to Atlantic City in New Jersey for spring break, so I’ll probably be going again this year. I plan to relax and have fun.”

Goldstein said he does plan to attend some of the events that LTUT has scheduled, however.

In addition to various events planned, the LTUT team will be hosting a “Cash Cab” event, where students will answer trivia questions for prizes in one of the Student Government Association’s new “Downtown Express” buses, on Thursday from 10 p.m. to midnight.

“Recent campaign research has shown that college-age drinking intensifies during certain times of the year,” said Justin Posey, LTUT’s director of government relations. “That’s why LTUT chose to focus on spring break this year, to help students make responsible decisions when it comes to drinking.

The University of Alabama is just one of many schools in the state of Alabama that LTUT has planned to spread its message. Others include Alabama State University, Auburn University, Troy University, the University of Alabama, the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of South Alabama.

For more information regarding upcoming events, visit LessThanUThink.org.