Creative Campus internship applications due

By Adriene LaPorte

Applications for a 2010-2011 Creative Campus intern position are due by Friday at midnight.

Applications can be found on the Creative Campus Web site, and there are no official academic requirements or specific field of study needed to apply.

Interns need to be able to work 10 to 20 hours a week and the position is either paid or for internship credit in the college of the intern’s major.

“There are no set qualifications,” Andi Johnson, an intern at Creative Campus, said. “We all come from different backgrounds… it’s not really what you have done, to some degree — a lot of it is what kind of thinker you are, dreamer you can be and how you can nurture that. It’s really an internship for everyone.”

Creative Campus takes ideas submitted by students, interns, faculty, staff or a member of the community and makes them into a reality. This year Creative Campus was involved with Rock the Runway, bringing best-selling author Neil Gaiman to Tuscaloosa and the upcoming Druid City Fest, which will host an array of local musicians.

Once an idea is presented, every intern in Creative Campus gets to collaborate on the project.

“We are all given the opportunity to develop our own projects or take others on as we ‘learn the ropes’ in project management and event planning…We are dedicated to showcasing creativity and the arts to all students, encouraging them to see that the arts are accessible to everyone,” Johnson said.

Beth Hataway, an intern majoring in interdisciplinary studies, is the head intern working on the Druid City Fest project. She said the intern experience is life changing, “Working with the arts festival I’ve gotten real world experience. I’ve been working with campus and in the city to make this collaborative event. It’s taught me how to communicate and be professional.”

“It’s also a very good experience for people who aren’t sure about what to do with their lives,” Hataway said.

“I really love art, but I’m not an art student,” said Alexandra Tucci, an intern majoring in international studies and advertising. “Creative Campus allows me to engage in many aspects of the arts.

“This [experience] has been the best part of this year, by far. It’s such a great atmosphere,” Tucci said.

On the Web site, the application is set up like a menu with basic questions as the appetizer, the main course short essays about personal experience and the desert is a picture of a creative project.

All three interns applicants should be themselves and show how creative they can be on the application, and that the staff will pick interns based on what Creative Campus needs for next year.

To apply or learn more about the internship and the organization visit creativecampus.ua.edu.