Alabama finishes second at SEC championships

UA Athletics

Alabama had a chance to win its second Southeastern Conference title in as many years in Duluth, Ga., on Saturday but fell short, finishing second behind the Florida Gators. Here’s a closer look at the weekend’s meet:

Uneven bars: Alabama started the meet with an impressive 49.275 on the uneven bars. Senior Geralen Stack-Eaton anchored the Tide with a score of 9.9, and senior Ashley Priess added a 9.875.

Balance beam: The Tide followed its bars rotation with a disappointing performance on balance beam. It posted a score of 48.825, and no gymnast scored above 9.825.

Floor exercise: Alabama bounced back with the highest floor exercise total of the night, scoring a 49.350. Priess and Stack-Eaton both scored 9.9, and junior Marissa Gutierrez added a 9.875.

Vault: Gutierrez once again led the Tide on its last event of the evening, posting a 9.9 on the vault. Junior Ashley Sledge, freshman Kaitlyn Clark and Priess added 9.875s for Alabama, which added up to a 49.325 on vault.

More by the numbers:

2: Alabama, under head coach Sarah Patterson, has won five national championships, but only two of them came after winning the SEC championship.

49.0: After Alabama finished its final rotation, Florida still had to compete on the floor routine to clinch the win. It needed to score at least a 49.0 on floor to take first place, and the Gators scored a 49.2.

6: Next up for Alabama are the regional championships. The Tide could go to any of six predetermined sites.