Date auction raises scholarship funds

Date auction raises scholarship funds
Megan Smith

If you ask the 18 University of Alabama students who presented themselves as dates for auction to benefit scholarships Tuesday, money truly can buy you love.

The Student Government Association and the UA chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers hosted the auction, which took place in the Bryant Conference Center at 7 p.m.

The popular fundraiser was preceded by the first-ever UA Tastes, a taste-testing event to support small Tuscaloosa restaurants.

Community restaurants and specialty treat shops contributed to the event by donating food that uniquely represented their menu. Date auction attendees were able to arrive early and sample the many selections.

Many local establishments assembled booths around the auditorium, including Crimson Café, Bottomfeeders, Surin, Chuck’s, Innisfree, Zoe’s, Sweet’s Cupcakes, Mugshots, Sweet CeCe’s and Chloe’s Cup.

“The event was such a success,” said Jenna Zoghby, director of UA Tastes. “This was the first year we have done this, and I was thrilled with the turnout.”

Students were also able to enjoy the many new choices available around Tuscaloosa.

Crimson Café advertised their recently revamped menu and atmosphere. Their changes include new menu items, an extensive beer selection and live music.

Two new downtown dessert locations used the UA Tastes fundraiser to showcase their specialties. Sweet’s Cupcakes provided a variety of mini cupcakes and gave away coupons for half-price icing shots, two-ounce cups filled with flavored icing.

“It was fun to be able to sample their delicious cupcakes for free. I can’t wait to go to Sweet’s and get some more,” said Lauren Mendiola, a UA Tastes attendee.

Sweet CeCe’s, a new frozen yogurt shop downtown, served their three most popular flavors: kiwi strawberry, cheesecake and chocolate.

The date auction kicked off as student athletes, leaders, musicians and artists strutted down the stage, presenting themselves for purchase.

Early in the auction, IFC president Drew Smyth and SGA president Stephen Swinson raised the pricing standards by receiving bids for more than $1,000.

Although many bids did not reach that amount, most of the students enjoyed the opportunity to participate in the event.

“It felt so great to be able to raise money for the SGA,” said SGA Sen. Jonathan Thompson, who danced for the audience. “I wish I would have said earlier, ‘If you outbid President Swinson, I will take you to eat at FIVE and to go shopping at the Summit.’”