Moon-bouncing used as fundraiser

Megan Smith

University of Alabama students jump to break a Guinness World Record Sunday afternoon at the Tuscaloosa Regional Airshow. The event, to jump the longest in an inflatable castle, started March 31, at 12pm and continued until Sunday afternoon. The event helped raise proceeds for relief efforts in Africa, sponsored by the mocha Club./CW|Megan Smith

Brett Saunders

Eight Alabama students broke the Guinness Book of World Records longest continuous time moon-bouncing this weekend at the Tuscaloosa Air Show. By rotating in 15-minute intervals, the group jumped throughout the night to raise money for the Bama Mocha Club.

Bama Mocha Club is a nonprofit organization that raises funds and awareness for different service projects in Africa.

“This particular fundraiser was to help build water wells and provide clean water for people in Ethiopia who do not have any access to clean drinking water,” said Will Scogin, president of Bama Mocha Club and a junior majoring in chemical engineering.

Scogin, Miller Wright, David Wilson, Patrick Taylor, Jimbo Wilhite, Drew Bowman and Taylor Duncan totaled 27 hours of jumping on the moon-bounce. During this time, the jumpers needed assistance with staying active and awake.

The thought to break this record began in August 2008. That year, the group raised $514 for the United Way. In October of 2008, they broke the record but found out others in Ohio later beat their record.

“We had a stereo system that played tunes of the jumper’s choice while he bounced in the night to stay awake,” said Taylor, a junior majoring in geography. “We also had ladder ball to pass the time and we reminisced about past goof-offs to stay awake.”

The participants were able to raise around $800 to go toward the National Mocha Club.

“There are over one billion people in the world that do not have access to clean drinking water,” said Wright, a junior majoring in metallurgical engineering. “These people sometimes die from very preventable diseases that wouldn’t be a problem with access to clean water.”

The guys who jumped to break the record enjoyed the activity but felt that it was mentally tiring to stay awake and focused.

“The most difficult part was trying to get sleep and stay refreshed,” Scogin said. “Your brain starts to wear down before your body does.”