2010 Premier Award Winners Recognized

2010 Premier Award Winners Recognized

UA President Robert Witt recently recognized the 2010 Premier Award winners.

The eight winners were recognized for scholarship, leadership and service to the University.

Olesea Volosin won the William P. Bloom Scholarship Award. A junior working toward making people more culturally aware at the University, she has recreated the Russian Club on campus, is an ambassador in the International Peering Advisory Council and served as a tutor for the Spanish Outreach program.

The winners of the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award included Wilson Boardman, Kendra Key and Judith Bonner. The award goes to one man and woman in the graduating class and one non-student who have been helpful to the University. The award recognized excellence of character and service to humanity.

Boardman received the award as part of the graduating class. He is a member of Documenting Justice, where he created a short film on Nancy de la Torre, a Mexican-American immigrant who started several businesses. He was a founder, tutor and translator for the ESL Jumpstart program and was in the Capstone Men and Women, Blackburn Institute and Anderson Society.

Key is also in the graduating class and was picked because she created the UA Recycling Initiative, served as a chief policy adviser for the SGA, chairwoman of the Blackburn Institute, president of Mortar Board senior honorary society and legislative advocate for Impact Alabama.

“I am extremely honored to be the recipient of UA’s highest award,” Key said. “It challenges me to continue being a public servant. This award calls me to live a life of service to others.”

Bonner was the non-student recipient of the award due to her service as executive vice president and provost at the University. She had participated in many civic, scientific and professional organizations and has written many books.

“I was very surprised and flattered when President Witt told me that I had been selected for the Sullivan,” Bonner said. “I understand the importance of the award and am extremely honored to be in the company of the students selected this year and the students and non-student winners in previous years.   This award is special because it is given by the University that I respect and love. Knowing that my colleagues nominated me for this award is an honor I will always cherish.”

Ynhi Thi Thai won the Catherine Johnson Randall Award, which recognizes the most outstanding student scholar at the University. Thai led a group of 10 students from the chapter of Engineers Without Borders to Vietnam and Cambodia to test water treatment. She is also the editor of the Journal of Science and Health at the University.

The winner of the John Fraser Ramsey Award went to Benton Atchison, who founded Re:Generation, a program designed to create better lives for those in nursing homes. He also publishes “The Agorean,” the greek life online newspaper, and he is an assistant vice president for external relations in the SGA. He is also the president of the Commerce Associates and vice president of the Elliott Society.

Elizabeth Jones and James Hall received the Morris Lehman Mayer award. Jones was the student and Hall was the non-student who received the award.

Jones started Speak Up Tuscaloosa, a debate program for middle school students. She is also involved with UA Center for Ethics & Social Responsibility, the Blackburn Institute and the Anderson Society. She also won the Moral Forum debate competition.

Hall is the director of New College where he teaches students as well as a member of Challenge 21, Campus Master Planning Committee and the Council on Community Initiatives. He is an adviser to the New College Council.