Eating the right foods promotes better sleep, healthier weight

MCT

Everyone knows that eating right and being physically active are key tools in maintaining a healthy weight. But, did you know that the amount of sleep you get is also a major determining factor in how much you weigh?

Research shows that people who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to be overweight and have Type-2 diabetes than those who get the recommended amount of sleep per night. The specific mechanisms have yet to be determined, but one theory for this phenomenon is that when you don’t get enough sleep, the hormones that control food intake and appetite are interrupted and imbalanced.

To keep these hormones in balance, it is recommended for people of all ages to get an average of seven hours of sleep per night. This seems like one of the simplest steps you can take to improve your health, but for college students, this may not be as easy as it sounds.

With tests, papers and projects due around the clock, plus a full social calendar to attend to, most students find it hard to squeeze in the recommended amount of sleep. To aid students in this ever-important endeavor, dietitians and doctors have determined specific food choices that help both induce sleep and promote a more stable sleep throughout the night.

Incorporating these foods late into your day can help you achieve the sleep your body wants and needs. Listed below are specific sleep-promoting foods along with ways to incorporate them into your daily routine:

Bananas: Bananas contain potassium and magnesium. These nutrients help to relax your muscles, which in turn helps lower your blood pressure and induce a more relaxed, restful sleep.

Popcorn (with parmesan cheese!): Dairy foods, such as Parmesan cheese, contain the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is the precursor to the hormone serotonin and subsequently melatonin, which both have powerful effects on sleep. The carbohydrate contained in the popcorn helps your brain absorb the tryptophan in the cheese better. Eaten together, this is a perfect bedtime snack. Fit tip: Try Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop bags. These are only 100 calories for each microwavable bag. Top with two tablespoons of Parmesan cheese for a perfectly portioned serving.

Chia seeds:Chia seeds also contain tryptophan, which produces a stable, long lasting sleep. Chia seeds contain a concentrated amount of this essential amino acid, so only two ounces of seeds are needed to produce the desired effect. Use these seeds to top cereals, yogurt, smoothies or salads. They give it an added crunch and punch of nutrition.

Cherry juice: Cherry juice is full of the hormone melatonin, which as mentioned previously, helps regulate your sleeping patterns. Drinking a glass a couple of hours before bed will help induce sleep. Also, you can help this hormone normalize your sleeping patterns by drinking this beverage at about the same time every day. Fit Tip: Try a cherry, banana smoothie before bed. Ingredients: one ripe banana, one cup raw cherries and one cup skim milk. Blend and enjoy!

Whether you are gearing up for finals, recovering from spring break or are just plain tired, sleep is a powerful medicine for the body. Use these foods to help take care of your body and get back on track.