Design students turn trash into fashion for charity

The College of Human and Environmental Sciences and Fashion Inc., a student-led organization on campus, will be hosting their eighth annual Tee Time fundraiser tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Doster Hall Lawn.

Tee Time is a fashion show that will feature close to 30 students’ designs and dresses made only from recycled T-shirts. Lindsay Cornelson, a senior majoring in apparel design, is the vice president of Fashion Inc.

“This year, we’re putting in a little twist,” Cornelson said. “Designers are allowed to use any materials such as duct tape, trash bags, phone books, anything that’s not fabric.”

This is the first time Rachel Pate, a junior majoring in apparel and textile design, has had the opportunity to showcase her talents at a fashion show for an audience. Her one-shoulder dress is made completely out of recycled T-shirts, and the shirt she made features a mop head.

“I am most excited to put my outfits on a model and present them to people,” Pate said. “This is a big deal since this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.”

Fashion Inc. is a student organization mostly comprised of students studying fashion. Earlier this year, they held a fundraiser in which they donated 250 prom dresses to local high school students.

“We meet every other week and usually have speakers in the business come talk and answer questions,” Cornelson said.

Last year, there was an audience of close to 400, and the members of Fashion Inc. hope to attract even more at this year’s event.

“The designers have put a lot of effort into using all recyclable materials,” Pate said. “It really shows what you can do by going green by showcasing people’s creativity.”

There will be refreshments and a chance to meet the designers after the show under the tent, which will be decorated by interior design majors with only recycled decorations. Admission is $5 for non-students and $3 for students. The money will be used to raise money for the Woodland Forrest Elementary Outdoor Classroom Initiative as well as the senior fashion show in the fall.