Multicultural sorority invites potential members

Though the University of Alabama is a campus with a famously large and active greek community, students may not realize there are options beyond the traditionally white and black sororities.

Sigma Lambda Gamma, a multicultural society active at UA since 2007, is hosting a week of events to make students more aware of multicultural greek life.

“I would say you should join SLG because it grants you a network of sisters across the nation in the fastest growing fraternal organization to date,” member Brittney Knox said. “You will get to meet women from all walks of life and every part of the world, and having that is priceless.”

Sigma Lambda does not participate in formal rush, instead waiting to recruit from current University of Alabama students. The week’s events include informational sessions for interested students and will conclude with a new member presentation on Friday.

Sigma Lambda currently has seven active members — quite smaller than the typical traditionally white and black sororities on campus.

Knox said she believes it remains small because it is not necessarily a campus tradition yet.

“[It’s] the fact that our sorority is new and therefore lacks a built-up network and tradition on campus,” Knox said. “And because it challenges us to be different and embrace those differences.”

Knox said she pursued a multicultural sorority because her high school experience lacked diversity, and she wanted the challenge of embracing differences.

“I love to get to know women of all cultures,” Knox said. “I wanted to be exposed to the diversity here and build lasting relationships.”

SLG President Krystal Campbell said she decided the sorority was right for her when she realized the sorority’s “distinct women” encouraged and embodied individuality.

“I am learning more about myself and other cultures while taking our principles into the real world,” Campbell said.

Despite the separation in size and tradition from other sororities on campus, SLG members — part of the United Greek Council — say they still feel included in the greek community.

“I feel we are included in greek culture on campus, and we are acknowledged by other members of the greek community,” Knox said. “However, I do feel there does need to be more awareness on campus that multicultural greek life is an option.”

Senior Michelle Doherty, a Sigma Lambda member since 2009, said though the sorority is accepted in some greek circles, there is some disconnect between the sorority and campus.

“I think there is a definite lack of understanding of multicultural greek life at the University of Alabama that directly reflects numbers in membership,” Doherty said.   Campbell encourages students to consider a multicultural greek organization but said whatever path one chooses, it is a decision that shouldn’t be made lightly.

“When you join a greek organization, you wear their letters 24/7, 365 days,” she said. “So please really get to know not only the members of an organization, but their history, legacy, and what they can do for you.”