A-day draws large crowd with Saban at the helm

Head coach Nick Saban is known for the success he’s achieved for the Alabama football team: He’s helped the Tide win two national championships, coached numerous All-Americans and even coached the team’s first Heisman winner in Mark Ingram.

Still, Saban’s success hasn’t just been limited to play against other teams. He has also achieved a history of success against his own team in the Tide’s annual spring scrimmage, otherwise known as A-Day. One aspect of success Saban has brought to A-Day is the number of All-Americans he’s coached who were committed to the Walk of Fame. The Walk of Fame is a ceremony performed every A-Day where that year’s team captains leave their hand and cleat prints at the base of Denny Chimes. The tradition started in 1947, when Harry Gilmer and John Wozniak first immortalized their names in concrete. Since the tradition began, 33 Tide players have gone on to be named first-team All-Americans and be placed on the Walk of Fame in the same year. Of those 33 players, Saban has coached eight. Those players are Rashad Johnson and Antoine Caldwell in 2008; Javier Arenas (twice); Mike Johnson and Rolando McClain in 2009; Mark Barron in 2010; and Trent Richardson, Dont’a Hightower and Mark Barron for the 2011 season. To put that stat in perspective, Paul “Bear” Bryant managed to coach eight players to the same feat in 1969, 12 seasons after he started coaching for the Tide. Bryant continued to coach 15 total players who made All-American and the Walk of Fame in the same year, but only after 22 years at the Capstone. He did not have another player achieve the feat after 1979. Saban has already coached eight players to the same feat — over half of Bryant’s record, but in a fraction of the time it took Bryant.

Of course, one of the most notable additions Saban has brought to A-Day is crowd attendance. Since arriving at the Capstone, he has smashed school, conference and national records for spring scrimmage attendance, with an average annual attendance of 86,552 people. In that span, Alabama has seen a total of 432,760 people attend A-Day. “Our administration, Dr. Witt, everybody in the athletic department, everybody that works on our coaching staff and our fans have been really positive and supportive in the program since we’ve been here,” Saban said. In 2007, Saban’s first year at Alabama, the Tide had a record-setting 92,138 people attend A-Day. In the process, Alabama also broke a Southeastern Conference record for spring game attendance, set by Tennessee in 1976 with 73,000. In contrast, when Mike Shula coached his first A-Day in 2004, an estimated 35,000 showed up to watch. Every year after that, barring the 2008 scrimmage, fan attendance at A-Day has risen, culminating in 2011 when the Tide broke its own record with a 92,310-person A-Day crowd. Nebraska had the next-highest crowd attendance that year, with 66,784 people attending its spring scrimmage. Saban said the support for the program, shown especially in the 2007 A-Day, has been overwhelming. “The first A-Day when there were 88,000 people there or whatever, it was really heartfelt by the Sabans,” Saban said. “[It] really made us feel welcome here, and we had gone through some tough times in getting here from Miami and all that.” Still, Saban wasn’t the only one impressed with the attendance. Sophomore linebacker Adrian Hubbard said when he attended the A-Day game as a recruit, one thing stuck out in his mind. “The fans,” Hubbard said. “This town is crazy. This atmosphere is crazy here, and I love it.”