Board considers demolitions

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees will meet Friday at the Bevil Conference Center and Hotel on the University of Alabama in Huntsville campus. It will be former UA president Robert Witt’s first meeting with the board as the system’s chancellor.

The board will consider several improvements to physical properties on the UA campus, including the demolition of the Phi Delta Theta and Phi Kappa Psi fraternity houses and the Office of Student Media. The buildings will be demolished in the summers of 2012 and 2013, as their replacements are built. All three buildings are located on University Boulevard in front of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The board will also decide whether to proceed to stage II of construction for the $6 million renovation of ten Hoor Hall and stage III of construction for the western half of the North Bluff Residential Community. The next phase of the community’s development will bring 864 beds to campus and will be constructed where Rose Towers is currently located, at a cost of $62.5 million.

The proposed Riverside Parking Deck, which will create 750 parking spaces for the new community, the current Riverside Community and the expanding Science and Engineering Complex, will be considered for Stage II approval.

The board will take up a resolution to move the Action Card and Transportation Services Offices from the Student Services Center to the Campus Deck. The HES Design House behind the Kappa Delta sorority house is also slated for demolition, subject to the board’s approval, to make room for the future expansion of the sorority house.

Additionally, the board will consider a renovation to the Chi Omega sorority house that will add 18 bedrooms, doubling the house’s occupancy to 64 members.