Good Samaritan Clinic holds ‘Spring into Good Health’

Good Samaritan Clinic holds Spring into Good Health

The Good Samaritan Clinic in Northport is looking for volunteers to help with and set up their own entertainment booths at the clinic’s next community fundraiser.

“Spring into Good Health,” the clinic’s spring fundraiser, will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 21 in the clinic’s parking lot as a way to raise funds and awareness of the clinic, according to a press release. All proceeds will go directly to the clinic to purchase needed supplies so that volunteer doctors, nurses and small staff can continue to provide free services to those in need.

The free event will include games for children, music and entertainment, some refreshments and free blood pressure checks, according to a press release. Members of the community will also be able to speak with representatives about health topics such as exercise, diabetes, nutrition and healthy eating.

“We are looking for people willing to come up with their own entertainment station,” said Brittney Knox, a volunteer at the clinic. “While we have enough volunteers for the booths we have now, we need more booths so more children can be served. We’re looking for things like face painting or even just people willing to help pass out flyers.”

Since 1999, the Good Samaritan Clinic has been a nonprofit organization that serves adults who are residents of Tuscaloosa, Greene, Hale, Bibb, Pickens, Sumter and Fayette counties, Knox said.

Volunteers are necessary to help the clinic be successful and do a variety of things, said Julie Sittason, executive director of the clinic.

“We have volunteer physicians and nurse practitioners who work at the clinic but depend on University students a lot too,” Sittason said. “We see lots of students who are in pre-med, nursing, social work and business, but also other majors. It’s a really valuable opportunity for students to get some good experience.”

Knox, who is majoring in journalism, aids with writing and putting together ideas for fundraisers, Sittason said.

Mary Mitchell, volunteer coordinator at the clinic, said they have 30 consistent volunteers, and the only requirement is to have good character and a love for helping people.

“Students get to do everything from filing papers to helping the doctors,” Mitchell said. “We have 750 to 800 patients that come three to four times a year, so we have a large number of appointments and only 13 regular volunteer doctors, four nurse practitioners and about seven nurses, although there is a large network of doctors in the community that help us if we need it.”

The Good Samaritan Clinic is open every Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and every Thursday from 9 a.m. to around 8:30 p.m., depending on how many doctors are able to serve at the clinic, Mitchell said.

As a nonprofit organization, the clinic relies heavily on donations, as well as some support from the United Way but is always in need of money, Mitchell said.

“A $10 donation may not seem like much, but it can purchase a box of antibiotics for our patients,” Mitchell said. “Any amount of money is always helpful.”

Supporters are welcome to send donations directly to the Good Samaritan Clinic at 3880 Watermelon Rd., Suite A, Northport, AL 35473. To volunteer, contact Brittney Knox at [email protected] or 205-566-0033.