Sororities to compete in Sigma Chi Derby Days revival

After instating a two-year hiatus, the University of Alabama chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity will revive its philanthropic Derby Days competition between sororities this week.

In 2010, the members of Sigma Chi began to notice an increasingly low turnout to the annual event, which propelled a transformation to the system.

“In the past, we used to have Derby Days every year, but there were smaller and smaller groups attending,” said Alex Dinges, the Sigma Chi Derby Days chairman. “We decided to make it more special by having it every other year to bring out more people and make it a more exclusive event.”

“We’re all really excited about it, especially the sophomores and freshmen who have never experienced Derby Days before,” said Matt Ford, a sophomore Sigma Chi. “The last time I saw it I was a rushee in high school, so it’s great to finally be participating in it as a college student.”

Each day of the week includes contests between members of each sorority who are judged on predetermined criteria, such as creativity and spirit. The various competitions include the decoration of the Sigma Chi house and Rounders bar, volleyball, tug-of-war, a beauty pageant, hat-stealing war, karaoke and dance.

Sister Hazel, CBDB, the Steven Padilla Band, Big Gigantic and Otis Day & The Knights are scheduled to perform throughout the week.

“Derby Days is a great way to get all the sororities on campus involved,” Dinges said. “It’s always nice to have a little competition, in my opinion, and it’s fun to bring everyone together for a good cause.”

The sororities that rank in the top four positions for each event will receive points, and the sorority with the most points at the end of the week will receive $1,000 toward its organization’s philanthropy.

“I have never experienced Derby Days before, and everyone talks about how much fun it is,” said Laura Keator, a member of Chi Omega. “Being able to win money for our philanthropy is very rewarding, and it feels good knowing that we can make a difference through our involvement during the week.”

Continuing the tradition of being a charitable fundraiser, the 2012 Derby Days competition proceeds will be donated to the Ashley Harrison Memorial Scholarship, an award given in honor of Ashley Harrison, a member of UA’s chapter of Phi Mu who died during the April 27, 2011 tornado.

Sigma Chi will devote all of its attention to the cause, selecting Carson Tinker, a UA football player, as the honorary judge for the 2012 Derby Days due to his relationship with Harrison.

“We always donate money to a charity during Derby Days, but this year we had an opportunity to donate to an organization that hit more close to home,” Dinges said. “If we could have done something for all of the tornado victims, we would. But, a bunch of our members were close to Ashley, and after speaking to her parents, we knew what we needed to do.”