Marketing group to hold fundraiser at Red Shed

The University of Alabama Sales and Marketing Association will hold a fundraiser to send a child with muscular dystrophy to a Muscular Dystrophy Association summer camp, said Kelsey Kurth, chief operating officer of SMA.

The event will begin at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday at The Red Shed located on The Strip, Kurth said. The event is open to anyone 19 years of age and older.

“Children with Muscular Dystrophy face difficulty every day because of this disease, and what we’re trying to do is help send a few kids to camp, so that they can have the same fun summer camp experience that most kids get to enjoy,” said Brandon Poley, upcoming president of SMA. “We want students to come out and enjoy themselves but also raise some money to send these children to summer camp.”

The event will feature a live music performance by Daniel Crane and drink specials with no cover charge, Kurth said. Fifty percent of the money raised from shots sold will go to the philanthropy, and there will be donation jars throughout the bar as well as a prize raffle including a charter fishing trip for 10, a free manicure and pedicure and gift cards to Zoe’s and Yogurt Mountain.

SMA is a student-run organization that focuses on professional development and community contribution, according to the organization’s website. Each year, SMA hosts events designed to help its members grow both personally and professionally, as well as providing each member a chance to give back to the community.

“In SMA, our goal is to give back to our community and invest in those around us,” Poley said. “We have been raising money for MDA this entire semester and will be awarding Sales Program Scholarships worth $250 to the four students that raise the most money.”

Although this is the first time SMA is holding this fundraiser, SMA works to raise money to benefit one nonprofit organization each year, said Joe Calamusa, director of the sales program.

“It costs $800 to send one child to Muscular Dystrophy Association’s summer camp,” Calamusa said. “This event will be a normal student social experience in a laid-back, relaxed atmosphere infused with the extra added benefit that each student’s presence and money they spend will help children with Muscular Dystrophy.”

The summer camp will be held at Lake Martin and is a chance for children with muscular dystrophy to be around other children who are like them, Kurth said.

“This camp will give parents of children with muscular dystrophy a break because children with muscular dystrophy take extra care,” Kurth said. “We really hope a big group will come out and help us raise money to help these children go to summer camp.”

For more information about SMA or the UA Sales Program, visit cba.ua.edu/sales/sma.

If You Go

What: Sales and Marketing Association fundraiser for the Muscular Dystrophy Association

Where: The Red Shed

When: Wednesday at 8:30 p.m.

Cost: No cover