Dance Marathon to benefit Children’s Miracle Network

University of Alabama students are bringing a dance party to campus for the first time. The Dance Marathon is a fundraiser that will benefit Children’s Hospital and support the Children’s Miracle Network.

“It has been quite a journey,” said Alexandra Rhett, president of the Dance Marathon committee, who has been working for the last three years to get the Dance Marathon started. “But it has been well worth it.”

The Dance Marathon will be Friday from 1 to 8 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center. The marathon will only last eight hours, much less than the typical 24 hours most schools do, but Rhett said this was because students may find standing for 24-plus hours daunting.

“We want to make a good impression on students,” she said. “We want them to want more, not less.”

Their chief challenge for the Dance Marathon committee has been raising awareness.

“Our goal has been trying to get people to know what it is,” said Katie Klootwyk, public relations and recruitment committee member. “People hear of it and are like, ‘I don’t dance,’ but really you spend very little time dancing. We want to get people hooked on it.”

Contrary to the dance marathons of the 1920s and 1930s, which were tests of endurance where participants danced the entire time, participants will not have to dance the entire eight-hour period.

“Something most students don’t realize is that this event actually has nothing to do with dancing,” committee member Allison Franklin said. “It’s all about standing for those who can’t and raising money for the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham. There will be a three-on-three basketball tournament, dodgeball, a rave and tons of games and relays we can do with the kids. Not to mention, guys, there will be a ton of girls.”

In addition to those events, at the top of every hour participants can learn part of a line dance and listen to a success story of one of the children. Every hour will be themed and activities will correspond with the themes.

Franklin said she loved how personal the philanthropy is and the impact it has on people.

“Throughout the process of fundraising and spreading awareness of the event, every member of the committee has met people who either have direct experience with Children’s Miracle Network or the Children’s Hospital in Birmingham,” Franklin said. “One man told me that the Children’s Miracle Network helped save his grandson’s life. Not to mention the strength and love of life these children have is so inspirational.”

Some of the children and their families will also be present at the event.

“It’s truly moving,” Rhett said. “It is not a nameless, faceless organization based somewhere out in Los Angeles. It is the Children’s Hospital, and you get to meet these children who you are helping.”

Because of her connection with Children’s Hospital and its patients, Rhett said she hopes the event will be a success.

“The reason we want this to be successful is because we are so passionate about it,” she said. “I feel like I am part of this hospital. You automatically become part of this family, and that is pretty moving.”

The goal for raising money this year is $10,000, but Rhett said it is not really about the money. The main problem they have run into is that the name is not established.

“We want it to be established,” she said. “This year is not so much about the money as it is about getting the name out there, so that next year we can raise more money. But every penny counts, and the hospital appreciates it more than anything. So, it’s about the money, but it’s also about raising awareness. You just have to start somewhere.”

Next year, Rhett said she hopes the event will continue growing.

“It is has been a huge learning experience,” she said. “And next year will be even bigger and better!”