Streiffer named dean of Community Health Sciences

The University of Alabama recently appointed Richard H. Streiffer as dean of the College of Community Health Sciences.

Streiffer was one of the 345 people to complete a residency in family medicine at UA’s College of Community Health Sciences, receiving the Outstanding Alumni Award for Academic Achievement during his time at the University.

Prior to the completion of his residency, Streiffer attended Tulane University in his hometown of New Orleans. Later, he attended Louisiana State University School of Medicine to pursue a degree in medicine.

After completing his residency at UA, Streiffer began his practice in Mississippi and his teaching career at the University of Mississippi. In addition, he served as director of the Mercy Family Medicine Residency in Denver, worked as the pre-doctoral education director in family medicine at LSU School of Medicine and currently serves as founding director of Baton Rouge General Medical Center’s Family Medicine Residency program. He also worked as a professor and past chairman of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Tulane University Medical School.

In 2009, he was appointed to the Louisiana Health Works Commission and served as the co-chair of the Governors’ Interagency Task Force on the Future of Family Medicine in Louisiana.

“Dr. Streiffer’s extensive experience in practicing and teaching family and rural medicine will make him a great leader for the college in the 21st century,” UA interim president Dr. Judy Bonner said.

Streiffer expressed both excitement and surprise over his selection.

“It’s exciting and strange,” Streiffer said. “I never thought this was a possibility and probability. This place is very constant with my career,”

Throughout his career and various positions, Streiffer has managed to maintain an active primary care practice, hold board certification in family medicine and a Certificate of Added Qualification in Geriatrics.

Kenyanita Ellis, a junior majoring in biology, expresses her opinion on the new dean.

“As a student on the pre-med track, I believe Steiffer is a great addition to the UA family. He seems to have a lot of experience, and I think he will take the college in the right direction,” Ellis said.

Over the years, the CCHS has evolved into a state-of-the-art facility, housing the University Medical Center and Rural Health Institute for Clinical and Translational Sciences. Streiffer encourages those students who are interested in medicine as a primary care or rural Alabama to visit the facility.

Streiffer said he plans to gather the faculty and devise a strategy that outlines the future of the department.

“I want to group faculty and begin the strategic planning process,” Streiffer said. “It’s my style to collectively decide how to proceed.”

In the meantime, the College of Community Health Sciences continues to tackle Alabama’s need for primary care physicians in small towns and rural communities by making healthcare more available and training medical practitioners.