Bragg to present Last Lecture tonight

Bragg to present Last Lecture tonight
Mitchell O. Hughes

Students have cast their votes, and the 2012 Last Lecture speaker will be journalism professor Rick Bragg. Monday, April 23 at 6 p.m. in 118 Graves Hall, Bragg will present his lecture titled, “So People Won’t Forget.”

Bragg teaches a magazine writing course in the journalism department. He has authored several books, along with published articles, and he won the Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing in 1996. Bragg has worked at The Anniston Star and The New York Times and was a Nieman Fellow at Harvard University.

“I think one thing that stands out with him, mostly in the classroom and when he gives talks any place, is what a compelling speaker he is,” Jennifer Greer, Department of Journalism chair, said. “He’s so captivating in his stories, and he streams together stories you laugh or cry about, but then in the end, they make such a compelling point.”

The basis of Bragg’s lecture was encouraged by an encounter he had with a woman in New Orleans soon after Hurricane Katrina. He recalled being apologetic for talking with the lady after she had lost her son. Bragg remembered the lady saying, “That’s all right. People forgets if it ain’t written down.”

“I would not miss the last lecture for Rick Bragg,” Brittney Knox, a senior majoring in journalism, said. “As a former student [of Bragg’s], I feel that I not only should support, but having heard him speak, I know the quality of the lecture will be outstanding.”

Bragg said being this year’s award recipient meant a lot because it was determined by student votes. As a mentor and reliable source of help and reassurance, Greer said Bragg helps students “find their voice.”

“He’s a treasure,” Greer said. “We’re so lucky that we have him here. All of our students [and] all of our faculty know how lucky we are to have somebody with his talent and his success and his passion as part of the Department of Journalism.”

“I think having Bragg as a professor here is really exciting,” said Bethany Blair, journalism student. “He’s not only an accomplished journalist but a best-selling author, and I think we can learn a lot from him as journalism students.”

UA’s graduate school presents the lecture award each year. Bragg was chosen out of more than 250 applicants. Students look forward to hearing him speak.

“Students should definitely come out to support this event because they can expect to learn priceless life lessons as they are wrapped in a joke to hear,” Knox said. “I think this is the opportunity to hear from a talented and amazing UA instructor.”

Bragg said he is nervous about speaking. However, Greer and students look forward to his entertainment and the lessons he will teach.

“[Students] will be touched by this,” Greer said. “It will be funny. It will be entertaining. But, they will go away with feeling the passion that he feels for his subject.”

“We have to save stories and tell what’s happened in government or society to prevent it from happening again,” Bragg said.