Bonner, Nelson check in at luncheon

Provost Judy Bonner and Vice Provost Mark Nelson hosted another Pulse Check luncheon Thursday that was open to faculty, staff and students, The lunch is designed for concerns to be voiced on issues that occur on campus.

“Oftentimes we get so busy with things that are going on that we don’t have to time to just stop and talk about it, and this is an opportunity to voice what is on your mind,” Nelson said.

Topics of the luncheon included computer classroom availability, research project ideas, complaints about the large amount of freshman meal plans, the renovation of Foster Auditorium and changing eLearning.

Bonner addressed the faculty concerns about the availability of computer classrooms that are large enough for 60 or more students by looking to the new renovations in Lloyd.

“After Lloyd is finished with the renovations, it will have the most classrooms in it than any other building,” she said. “In addition to the regular classrooms, it will house two computer classrooms, which will have 150 computers and the other will have 48.”

A representative from the Parents Ambassador Program sparked a discussion about the large amount of meal plans that freshman students are required to purchase. She said that about 90 percent of parents think that too many of them are going to waste.

Stacey Jones, director of student leadership, told students about a food service committee seeking opinions of students about their dining experience.

“This is an issue that we are glad to be informed about,” Bonner said.

Matthew Brown, a junior majoring in communication studies and political science, said he feels eLearning needs improvement.

After students raised concerns about eLearning working well on certain operating systems, Bonner said that they would try and send a survey out to students to better understand the problems with eLearning.

“I have had problems with eLearning and feel that it is important to attend opportunities like these to voice your concerns,” Brown said. “Students should attend these luncheons because all of us are concerned about something, and this gives us the chance to address those concerns.”