Kentuck’s monthly art night showcases two local artists

This month’s Kentuck Art Night displayed work from local art teacher Lindsay Mouyal, folk artist Betty Sue Matthews and commemorated long-time volunteer Carolyn Fritz.

Kentuck hosts Art Night the first Thursday of the month from 5 to 9 p.m., highlighting the works of local artists while bringing the community together for free food and live music.

“I would say my favorite part of Kentuck Art Night is the number of different things you can do in the one place and how that diversity draws a lot of people to come out and hang out and be in a community,” Joe Parmer, co-curator of the Betty Sue Matthews exhibit, said.

Lindsay Mouyal and long-time guest artist Betty Sue Matthews opened their exhibits at art night and will have them on show through June 28.

Mouyal began to pursue an art career her sophomore year of college. It was then, in her mandatory drawing class, that she was reminded of her passion for art. Mouyal earned a BA in studio art and an MA in art education from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and now teaches art at local elementary schools.

“For me, in the communities I teach in, it’s really great to expose my students to something that they wouldn’t normally get anywhere else,” Mouyal said. “It’s really exciting to take them on field trips to Birmingham, to the art museums, because they wouldn’t normally be able to go. They’re very isolated in their small communities.”

Mouyal said she is inspired the most by organic shapes and fleshy tones. She often makes collages of different mediums, including the pieces she has collected from her travels.

“Sometimes, I’ll be in a creative mood, and I think, ‘If I keep making and making and making, where is all this stuff going to go?’” Mouyal said. “It kind of piles up, and it might dampen my creative energy – that’s something good about exhibiting.”

One of the most important parts of Kentuck is that the building is reserved for local artists’ exhibitions, giving them opportunities to share and sell their work, as well as more space to create.

Twenty-four pieces by Pike County native and modern folk artist Betty Sue Matthews were selected from the collection of Ron Drinkard to also be exhibited in this month’s Art Night.

Matthews’ earth tones and various mediums of cardboard and dresser drawers showcase her self-taught methods of painting she learned as a child.

“What I really like about Betty Sue Matthews’ work is her ability to express emotion. The facial expressions are neither flattering or unflattering, but just expressive,” UA graduate Joe Parmer said.

Carolyn Fritz, one of Kentuck’s long-time volunteers, recently passed away and was recognized for her work with Kentuck for Kids for over 20 years by the unveiling of a functioning bike rack sculpture made in her honor. Friend and volunteer Pam Askew prefaced the unveiling with words of remembrance and recognition.

“Her work was important and appreciated,” Askew said. “She led by example to make people want to help and then implemented it. She stayed with it every step of the way.”

The bike rack was immediately put to use by the Kentuck patrons who rode their bikes to Art Night.