Women’s track concludes opening weekend as hosts of the Alabama Relays

The Alabama women’s track and field team concluded its outdoor season opener as hosts of the Alabama Relays at Sam Bailey Track and Field Stadium on Sunday. The Tide claimed five top-five relay finishes on the final day.

“Sometimes, you never know with your opening meet,” said Sandy Fowler, women’s track and field head coach. “Being at home gives you a few more pressures because your trying to show out for your friends, family and peers so it puts a little more pressure on the girls. I thought they came and competed very well though and I’m proud of the team.”

Freshman Alexis Paine started things off for the Tide on Sunday with a third-place finish in the pole vault with a clearance of the bar set at 10-6.

Alabama’s 4×100 meter shuttle hurdle relay team, the second-fastest squad in the nation in 2009, placed second to Western Kentucky in the first relay of the day. The Crimson Tide combination of juniors Kim Laing, Rachel Robbs, Talaya Owens and sophomore Audra Frimpong posted a time of 57.69.

In the 4×100 meter relay, the Alabama team of Frimpong, Owens, sophomore Toni Graham and senior Heather Matherson finished fourth with a time of 46.67.

The Tide claimed another top five finish in the 4×800 meter relay with a time of 9:47.50 to finish fourth. The relay team consisted of juniors Meghan Hawkins and Jordan Harper and sophomores Andrea Torske and Sara Vaughn.

In the 4×1,500 meter relay, sophomores Leigh Gilmore and Kelsey Johnson and freshmen Katlyn Will and Elsbeth Denton claimed the team’s lone title of the day with a time of 19:06.80.

Alabama was third in the 4×200 meter relay with a time of 1:39.78 run by Graham, Owens, Laing and Matherson.

In the javelin throw, junior Meghan Austin led a Tide trio with a fifth-place finish and a heave of 144-5. Freshman Bekah Hoppis followed in sixth with a mark of 136-10, while sophomore Brittany Hines finished 11th with a throw of 121-10.

Alabama will travel to Gainesville, Fla., for the Florida Relays April 2-3.