Florida seeks improvement in year two under Muschamp

HOOVER, Ala.- Florida head coach Will Muschamp is aware of the high expectations fans have in Gainesville. He said he knows the Gators offensive and defensive outputs were below Florida standards.

The Gators offense finished the 2011 season ranked 98th in the country in Muschamp’s first season as head coach. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis was expected to propel the Gators offense to the next level with his NFL experience, but the unit struggled to produce under Weiss and an injury to quarterback John Brantley set the team back.

Gone is Weiss, who took the head coaching job at Kansas and gone is Brantley, who graduated. The Gators plucked Brent Pease from Boise State to be the team’s offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. Muschamp said Pease could solve a lot of the Gators problems.

“I was very fortunate to be able to hire him at Florida and I think he’s a great addition to our staff,” Muschamp said. “He’s a very bright, intelligent guy. I’m really pleased with how that transition has occurred and where we’re headed.”

One major hole in the Gators offense is the lack of a rushing attack. The Gators have not had a 1,000 yard rusher since 2004, when Ciatrick Fason rushed for 1,267 yards. Running back Mike Gillislee hopes to buck that trend. Gillislee said he wants to be mentioned with the all-time great Florida running backs.

“In the running back room, we can see all the great backs that have come through Florida,” Gillislee said. “I want to be one of those guys. I’m going to take advantage of every opportunity I have and make sure Florida has one of the best rushing attacks in the country.”

Heading into fall camp, Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel will be locked in a quarterback battle for the starting position. Brissett went 18-of-39 for 206 yards, two touchdowns and four interceptions in limited time. Driskel finished the year with 148 yards and two interceptions, completing 16-of-34 passes during his time on the field.

Muschamp said he is not setting a time table for selecting a starter and the battle could play on into the season.

Defensively, the Gators boasted the no. 20 overall defenses, allowing only 20.3 points per game. But a weak turnover margin plagued the Gators. The Gators finished with the 113th ranked turnover margin in the country. The defense started mostly freshman and sophomore and Muschamp said those experiences will help the team be more mature this season.

“I feel comfortable with our leadership and the character of this year’s team,” Muschamp said. “Those guys have a high expectation level for themselves of what they need to do to be successful.”