Informal recruitment begins

The University of Alabama’s Interfraternity Council will hold a meeting marking the start of informal fraternity recruitment today, Aug. 23 at 5 p.m. in room 205 of Gorgas Library.

UA’s fraternity recruitment process is different in that it uses an informal process that takes place throughout the year, rather than the formal recruitment process of UA sororities, which occurs at the start of each semester.

The IFC is the governing body of the fraternities at UA that oversees this fraternity recruitment process.

Thursday’s event is intended to be an informational session for students interested in joining a greek organization who may have been unable to visit in the spring or summer, Andrew Smyth, president of the IFC, said.

“Each chapter will discuss membership with interested parties and answer any questions students may have about greek life at the Capstone,” Smyth said.

All presidents and rush chairmen for the 27 IFC fraternities will be present at the meeting providing an opportunity for new students to meet them and ask any questions about the upcoming recruitment season.

In addition to the 27 existing IFC fraternities, there are six fraternities interested in colonizing at UA over the next four semesters, including Alpha Delta Phi, Phi Kappa Tau and Phi Mu Delta. For more information on these new opportunities, students are asked to contact the Office of Greek Affairs, Kat Gillan, director of Greek Affairs, said.

“We are excited to offer this opportunity to young men across campus and look forward to welcoming everyone to IFC Formal Recruitment 2012,” Smyth said.