Art exhibit comes to a close

Wednesday is the last opportunity for students to see Aqueous, an art exhibit created and displayed by the summer Aqueous Media class, at the Ferguson Center Art Gallery.

The exhibit opened with a reception on Aug. 2 and showcased the water-based works of students enrolled in the class, ART 305.

“We discuss the history of water media and even grind some of our own ink, a practice that can be traced back thousands of years,” Herbert said. “In class, students begin to think about not only what they are making, but also the materials they are using.”

Herbert offered her students the opportunity to display their finished works in an exhibit at the end of the summer.

“It was very much up to the group whether or not we had a show,” Herbert said, “As work began to be made, I encouraged [the students] to think about how the artwork would be displayed, since often, work gets made without thought about where it will go when it leaves the studio.”

Types of wet media showcased in the Aqueous exhibit included watercolor, colored inks, India ink and gesso. Additionally, students used dry media, such as charcoal and Xerox transfers, in their pieces.

Erin Schopke, a senior majoring in mathematics, said Aqueous was her first time being included in an exhibit. One of her pieces, entitled “Aging,” explored the process of aging and rust and was done in ink, watercolor and gesso.

Kristin Kelley, a senior majoring in studio art, was also featured in the show. Like Schopke, Aqueous was Kelley’s first exhibition, and she said she was excited to have had the opportunity.

“To finally have your artwork displayed publicly for the whole University to see is a very strange feeling, but such a wonderful experience,” Kelley said.

Both Schopke and Kelley described Herbert’s Aqueous Media class as an enjoyable and laid-back experience.

“Anne allowed each of us to tap into our own creative impulses and expand our ideas with each project,” Kelley said. “Even though we were primarily working with water media, Anne never discouraged us from exploring other media and incorporating it into our artwork.”

In addition to exposing students to wet media, Herbert said the opportunity for young artists to exhibit their work is important in learning about what happens outside the studio environment.