University certified for weather preparation

Jim Stefkovich, a representative of the National Weather Service, visited campus Tuesday to officially recognize the University as a StormReady site. StormReady is a “national community preparedness program that helps communities develop plans to handle local severe weather and flooding threats.”

Stefkovich, originally from New Jersey with a degree from Penn State University, is the meteorologist-in-charge at the National Weather Service office in Birmingham. He presented the University with two official StormReady signs at a reception Tuesday morning in the Bryant Conference Center.

“You should all be very proud of what you’ve done to accomplish this.” Stefkovich said. “The University is doing a fantastic job in really making sure everyone is protected during severe weather.”

Donald Keith, director of emergency preparedness in the UA Office of Public Safety, said he doesn’t know yet where the University will be placing the signs, but he said he’ll put a small logo on the University’s Web site so parents and students can see the University’s new qualification. The University can also purchase more signs to place in prominent places around campus.

“I’m really proud of our new relationship with the National Weather Service.” Keith said, “We’re very happy to receive this designation.”

According to the StormReady Web site, there are five main criteria a community must have to be certified as StormReady. They must establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center, have more than one way to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts and to alert the public. They must also create a system that monitors weather conditions locally and promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars. In addition, the community must develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.

“Security is one of the highest priorities of the University,” said UA spokeswoman Debbie Lane.

Due to the unpredictable and severe weather the Tuscaloosa area experiences occasionally, the StormReady site status will be very useful in reaching the public. It will serve to bring “preparedness to the forefront” at the University and make the area better prepared for disaster, Stefkovich said.

The new system will allow the University to quickly and accurately warn students and staff about impending floods, tornadoes, or storms. “We want to make sure our population is ready when disaster strikes,” Keith said.

Four other Alabama universities also have the StormReady program in place. Jacksonville State University was the first university in Alabama to attain StormReady site status, but the University of Southern Alabama and Auburn University also have the designation.

While the new alert system will make it easier and faster for the University to alert people of a disaster, Stefkovich made it clear that this was only half of a disaster plan.

“All the warning information is provided, but it’s your individual responsibility to react and follow the plans,” Stefkovich said.