SOURCE to be home to organizations

After 10 years of deliberation, Feb. 15 saw the start of construction on the SOURCE, a new home for all registered student organizations on campus.

The new 2,835-square-foot space will be located between the Jones Center and the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership in the Ferguson Center, said Alex Karagas, coordinator of student involvement and leadership.

University Union, Student Involvement and Leadership and the SOURCE board of governors announced the renovation at Get on Board Day earlier in the spring.

“This has been in the works for the past 10 years. Finally, we found the right space and enough money to fund the project,” Karagas said.

The room will offer printing, faxing and copying, computers, meeting space with a flat screen TV for presentations, bulletin board supplies, event supplies, application pick up/drop off and other services for registered organizations.

“Anyone involved with registered student organizations is invited to use the space,” Karagas said. “People who will have access to the materials will have a card.”

Karagas said the University is funding the project. The goal is to lower the cost for student originations as much as possible.

“The new SOURCE space is going to be more than just a gathering room for student organizations,” said Richard Cockrum, a junior majoring in chemistry. “It’s going to be a hub of collaboration and innovation on this campus and provide an unprecedented suite of resources for student leaders.”

Karagas said there are over 300 registered student organizations on campus. Each organization is required to have at least 10 members, but some have over 300, she said.

“As a member of numerous student organizations, I cannot wait for the SOURCE space to be complete,” said Seth Morrow, a junior majoring in political science and communications. “It will be a one-stop shop for every resource a student organization could ask for.”

One campus organization leader Ashkan Bayatpour, who is president of the Campus Veterans Association, said the new space would enhance his organization. He said his organization has been struggling to find space on campus for an office.

Construction should be complete by June 1. The SOURCE ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held Aug. 24.

“This is going to be the next best thing to having our own offices,” Bayatpour said. “I’m very happy to see this SOURCE office open and think it will be a great help to many organizations at the Capstone.”

Registration for the 2010-11 student organizations is now available, Karagas said, as well as for Fall Get on Board Day. For more information, visit source.ua.edu