Tide blocking out hype, focuses on Western Kentucky

After its week-one drubbing of Michigan, don’t think Alabama is buying into the hype or overlooking its next opponent, Western Kentucky.

Head coach Nick Saban called a team meeting on Sunday to avoid such a problem, linebacker C.J. Mosley said.

“He told us that was just the first game, so don’t get hyped up about it,” said Mosley, who led the team with six tackles and an interception returned for a touchdown. “We have a lot of games to play and a lot of improvements to make.”

The leaders on this team have taken it upon themselves to deliver that message as well. Avoiding complacency has been the 2012 team’s focus since spring camp.

“He doesn’t really have to say anything to us,” said tight end Michael Williams, who scored the first touchdown of the game. “Us as leaders know that every week is a test for us and we have to go into every game with the same mindset.”

Saban said despite the fans’ and media’s perceptions of Western Kentucky, the Hilltoppers are a respectable opponent with a chance to win the Sun Belt Conference. The Hilltoppers went 7-5 last season, including a 7-1 record in the Sun Belt Conference.

Yeldon’s performance receives praise from teammates, conference recognition

True freshman running back T.J. Yeldon used ankle-breaking moves to elude defenders and his strength to break through tackles en route to becoming the first Alabama true freshman to rush for more than 100 yards in his debut against Michigan. Yeldon finished the game with 111 yards and a touchdown on just 11 carries, along with 26 receiving yards.

His performance earned recognition from teammates and the coaching staff as he, along with tight end Michael Williams, were named players of the week on offense. Yeldon was also named the Co-Freshman of the Week in the SEC.

“Honestly, we weren’t surprised because we’ve seen it all along,” center Barrett Jones said of Yeldon’s performance. “I think it’s no secret that he might be the one to have the title of our great running backs. We feel good about the future with him.”

Yeldon took advantage of extended playing time with starter Eddie Lacy being limited due to injury. Saban said he hopes Yeldon and Lacy can develop into a “nice tandem” for the team once Lacy is healthy. Jalston Fowler and Dee Hart also contributed to the Tide rushing for a total of 232 yards against the Wolverines.

Players of the week

The coaching staff recognized six Alabama players in Saturday night’s 41-14 win over No. 8 Michigan. Tight end Michael Williams and running back T. J. Yeldon were named players of the week on offense while cornerback Dee Milliner and linebacker C.J. Mosley represented the defense. Punter Cody Mandell and wide receiver DeAndrew White were selected on special teams.

Injury update

Four Tide players were limited in practice on Monday due to injury: nose tackle Jesse Williams and linebackers Trey DePriest, Tana Patrick and Reggie Ragland. Saban said Ragland’s would be the most difficult for the game, but the other guys should be able to continue practicing in a day or two.

Milliner, Mosley shine

Milliner was selected as the Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week. Milliner’s record is five tackles with one interception and four pass break ups.

Mosley tied Antonio Langham’s (1990-93) school record of three interception returns for touchdowns. Mosley had two touchdown returns in 2010 vs. Florida and Georgia State.