Jazz Band and Combo to Play Moody

The UA Jazz Band and Jazz Combo concert starts at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the concert hall at the Moody Music Building. This is the first show of the current semester put on by the duo.

As far as jazz bands go, the Capstone has one main ensemble and three smaller groups. Of the three smaller groups, two are very similar in that they are more entry level groups that teach the students how to play in a small group setting, while the other is the standards combo—more of the premier combo.

The distinction between jazz band and jazz combo is indistinct. Most universities simply have jazz combos numbered one to the number they have, with combo one being best and working down from there. A combo is an ensemble with four or five instruments, usually including a bass and drums.

Tonight’s concert features one of the smaller groups, directed by Ledama Tajeu, and the jazz band, directed by Mark Lanter. Both performances will feature a performer each on alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, bass, and drums. Tajeu will also play trumpet with the combo.

“It is fun to see someone who is a beginning level sax player like sophomore Erica (Bassett) come in and be able to guide her through the semester and see her develop and improve,” Tajeu said. “That is very rewarding as a teacher.”

Matthew Cooper, a sophomore majoring in aerospace engineering, plays tenor saxophone for the combo and said the coolest feature of the combo was the change in pace from other classes.

“It’s not a conventional class,” Cooper said. “We get to practice music and play for an audience as the class culminates.”

The selections being played by the jazz combo include “All Blues,” “Blue Room,” “April Joy” and “Sidewinder.” After intermission the jazz band will play “Moti Mo,” Road Song,” “When Sunny Gets Blue,” “Oakland,” “Little Sunflower” and “Sinister Minister.” After hearing rehearsal, all the songs have a specific laid back groove as they continue to drive forward. The distinctive jazz groove permeates throughout and helps keep the songs from dragging.

Junior Scott Radock, a music performance major and drummer for the combo, pounds out beats from behind the drum set and paces the tempo that keeps the other musicians rocking along. Scott is also center snare for The Cadets, a program of Youth Education in The Arts and the oldest operating drum corps in the world.

For more information or to secure tickets, call the box office at 248-7111. The next event from the music department will be convocation on Friday at noon.