High-speed chase ends at Innisfree

Video credit: @im_MikeD

A high-speed police chase ended just outside of Innisfree early Saturday morning, at the intersection of University Boulevard and 20th Avenue.

Tuscaloosa Police Department officers pursued a black truck through the Strip as many students were leaving bars and restaurants.

Matt Ford, a UA junior who was on the Strip at the time, said police had blocked the intersection between 12th Avenue and University Boulevard, apparently trying to keep the area clear of traffic when the chase came through the area.

“They had shot out all four tires. We could smell the tires,” Ford said. “He was driving on rims. There was smoke blowing out behind him.”

Jake Gray, a UA senior, saw the chase end as he was leaving Innisfree.

“A minimum of 12 to 15 cop cars were chasing one black truck,” Gray said. “All the tires were blown out. The chase ended at the corner at the intersection by Innisfree. It was a high-speed chase.”

Chris Dodson, a reporter for BamaHammer.com, said he saw the chase begin on 15th Street.

“I was driving down Fifteenth and just got out of McDonalds and went down Veterans Memorial Parkway. I looked behind me and saw three to four police cars and looked back again and there’s 10 to 15 police cards following a black pickup truck.

“It had its lights turned off, its windows were tinted,” Dodson said.

A video posted on Twitter by @miked_09 captured the scene outside of Innisfree after the chase ended.

TPD has not responded to a request for comment. We will update this post as more information becomes available.