SGA sets goal of $100,000 for RAGE concert

The Student Government Association is keeping quiet about the particulars of this year’s student-only RAGE concert until details are finalized, but they’re clear on one thing: they want it to be big.

They hope to raise more than $100,000 for student scholarships through the Nov. 8 concert event, SGA spokesperson Meagan Bryant said, and they are currently finalizing plans for a headlining act at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater to be preceded by a Battle of the Bands event at Jupiter on the Strip Tuesday, Nov. 6.

In the past, the RAGE concert has taken place at the Bama Theatre, but in order to accommodate the expected larger crowd, this year’s main concert will take place at a much bigger venue, the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.

“A contract has been signed for the Nov. 8 concert; however, we are waiting on ticket pricing and logistics before we reveal the act and details,” Bryant said. “We do know that only UA students will be able to purchase tickets for the concert. Details on how and when to buy tickets, along with the headlining act, will be available next week after fall break.

Three local bands will perform at the Battle of the Bands, and the audience will vote via Twitter on their favorite performance.

“Whoever wins will be awarded an opportunity to perform before the mainstream act, during the first ever SGA hosted concert in the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater,” Matt Harris, SGA executive vice president, said in a press release.

The second-place performance will perform at the Jupiter again following the Nov. 8 concert.

Students interested in applying to perform should either drop off a demo in person in the SGA office or via the Ask SGA tab on myBama by Oct. 17. Winners will be notified Oct. 19.

If this event is as successful as they hope, the SGA Scholarship Endowment Fund could potentially grow to impact more students.

Currently, students are encouraged to apply for the $1000 need-based scholarships throughout the year through a form located in the SGA office. The SGA is not only working to raise the available funds they have to offer but also to improve the process by which candidates are selected.

“The applications are blinded after they are submitted, and we are working on getting the application online,” Bryant said.

To some students, this is exciting news. Kayla Haynes, a junior majoring in chemical engineering, said this is a significant step in the right direction for students helping students.

“If the student body can help the SGA raise over $100,000 going directly to help other students, it seems like everyone should want to attend,” Haynes said. “I think they just need to really get the word out there that while this is promoting student unity, it’s also for a really great cause.”

Though the event has grown in size, the goals of RAGE remain unchanged.

“This event will give students a chance to gather in the same location, at the same time, to support the same cause,” Caroline Campbell, director of RAGE, said in a press release.

In regard to the mainstream band, students are encouraged to be on the lookout for more information after fall break.

“SGA is still working on pricing and logistics for the concert and artist,” Bryant said.