Milk healthy, not harmful

After reading Friday’s letter to the editor titled, “The dairy deception,” I was highly offended. Being a huge fan of milk and all of its derivatives, I felt like Rebecca Howard was waging a personal war on my very lifestyle.

I’ll give her credit when it comes to her facts. Yes, sunflower seeds and apparently turnip greens are good sources of calcium, but by no means are either of these two foods viable alternatives to milk. When was the last time you washed down a chocolate chip cookie with a glass of turnip greens?

Can’t remember? Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

I would also like to draw attention to the way we consume said seeds and greens. Many people prefer their seeds and nuts salted, and greens salted and buttered. I think if we were to replace every glass of milk with a helping of these arguably bland substitutes, people would likely see a drastic jump in their sodium intake.

I understand rBGH could be a carcinogen, but it is not in all milk. If you are willing to throw down an extra buck, you can always go organic.

I believe milk is a healthy choice for any meal. When a gross amount of people drink Coke or some other empty-calorie soda with every meal, switching to milk is most certainly going to aid in weight loss.

Milk can be paired with foods with which water would be disgusting (such as cookies). Milk provides a reliable source of protein, vitamins, and calcium that water and sodas both lack.

Best of all, milk is delicious.

Patrick May is a sophomore majoring in electrical and chemical engineering.