Sheer tops daring, not trashy; worth trying this fall

To see or not to see? That’s the latest question I’ve been asking about sheer tops.

Lately, I’ve been obsessed with see-through chiffon button-downs. I have two of my own – one black American Apparel and the other cream from H&M – and I’m in love. There’s something so chic and seductive about a sheer button-down. It’s classy and it doesn’t show too much skin.

But how much skin is too much? I like to wear my cream top with a solid, strapless, silk bra. The way the two neutrals contrast is very appealing to me. I think that even though passers-by can see through my shirt, I’m not revealing enough to be labeled “loose.”

If you aren’t comfortable with the idea of everyone on campus being able to see your bra, try a bandeau in the same color as your shirt. These have been popular for a few years now so it wouldn’t be too hard to find one that you’re comfortable with. Bandeau tops also come in virtually every color and even different textures. Try a lace top underneath your sheer button-down for a play on texture.

So where do you find a chiffon top without breaking the bank? I’ve noticed many stores have been getting them in a rainbow of options. I was at Target just recently and they had just put out sheer tops in a multitude of colors: teal, tangerine, beige; you name it, they probably had it. Target also has chiffon tops with patterns on them so you can’t see too much. The patterns were quite appropriate for fall, too: rusty floral, nature-inspired feathers and more.

On my quest for sheer tops, I’ve found that it isn’t just long sleeved shirts taking on the trend. Another popular chiffon choice is tank tops. Usually these are button-downs too, but if you’re still wary about this trend, a tank top is the right way to experiment with sheerness and layers.

If you have a sheer tank, you can layer it under a regular chambray button-down or a chunky, oversized cardigan. This layered look is perfect for fall, because I can’t see anyone walking around on breezy fall days in a see-through top for much longer. Like I said, if you’re looking to layer your sheer chiffon, play with textures for a more interesting and thoughtful outfit.

Believe it or not, chiffon button-downs can be dressed up, too. It’s probably best to stick to neutrals in this case for more formal events. Last week I saw a girl on campus in a beautiful sheer, coral button-down and fitted khaki skinnies. Her tasteful accessories and loosely curled locks clearly indicated she was going somewhere special.

I know this look isn’t for everybody and some people are probably disgusted at the thought of anyone seeing their bra and that’s okay. Fashion is about experimentation, finding what’s right for you. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. Ask your friends for their opinion or wear your sheer button-down around people you trust at first. This is a more daring look, I admit, but I think my new obsession is something any brave UA girl can rock.