Season’s favorite color, oxblood, wearable on nails, bags and pants

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a huge advocate of the whole “color of the season” deal. But, for fall/winter 2012, I’m jumping on the fashion bandwagon and pledging my support for oxblood .

Oxblood doesn’t have the most glamorous name in the industry; in fact, it’s kind of grotesque. This aside, the actual color – a deep, brownish red – is absolutely to die for and can be worn or accessorized in a variety of ways.

The easiest way to rock oxblood is accessories. As I type this, I’m sporting the deep shade on my fingernails in Essie’s Sole Mates, which you can grab at Target or Ulta for about $8. A cheaper option would be Revlon’s Vixen, which goes for about $4. Both give you deep, sultry pops of oxblood without having to swathe yourself in the color.

Another great way to accessorize with this season’s hot shade is with lipstick. Admittedly on the darker side, this look isn’t for the faint of heart. For the best results, keep the rest of your makeup simple: clean black lashes and a matte foundation. Clarins Rouge Prodige lipstick is a fabulous choice for oxblood lips; it’s hydrating without being glossy and matte without being dry.

The last and bolder way to wear oxblood is a great oversized bag. Since oxblood is such a rich color, choose a rich texture to compliment the shade, like leather. Most genuine leather bags are going to put a dent in your wallet, so my recommendation is to make sure you really like this trend before diving in. That being said, Tom Ford’s calfskin oxblood purse is my favorite choice. Available at Neiman Marcus, this bag is sure to go fast, so get one while you can.

So, if you’ve taken a fancy to the oxblood craze, it’s time for an even bolder way to express yourself. Instead of accessorizing yourself, make oxblood your statement. One way to do this is with a great pair of pants. Everyone knows I love and wholeheartedly recommend skinnies, but oxblood works with other styles and textures, as well. Whether you’re rocking high-waisted silk trousers or leather leggings, oxblood is your color. Retailers everywhere are stocking up on this trend, so wherever your store of choice is, I promise they’ll have an oxblood option.

With everyone on campus rocking knee-high brown boots, oxblood can be your way to stand apart. Dr. Martens offer their classic edgy boot with an oxblood twist that you can buy on their website. If you want a taller shoe, DSW’s online store and outlets have a plethora of oxblood shoes ranging in price from steal to splurge.

No matter how daring you feel this fall, oxblood is one trend everyone can make work. It works on every skin tone and every body type – and even in every temperature (for those November days when it’s still 80 degrees outside). If you’re trepid about trying on oxblood, start small to make sure you like this season’s hottest trend before diving in.