City Council approves construction of Riverwalk Place

Bill Lunsford, owner of Riverwalk Place, said he was relieved after the Tuscaloosa City Council approved construction of the $7.5 to $8 million project that will bring an estimated 195 jobs to Tuscaloosa.

Riverwalk Place is a development of approximately 17,000 square feet that will have 22 condos and 40 beds, and on the lower level, there will be retail space and a general restaurant.

“It is a relief to have this approved,” he said. “After we discuss the funding issues, we will be prepared to begin construction.”

The building will be located on the banks of the Black Warrior River on Jack Warner Parkway next to River Road Park West.

Lunsford said they introduced this project several years ago and has gone through several designs of the project. Construction of the buildings will begin within the next year.

Councilman Bobby Howard of District 1, whose district will include the development, said as a member of the planning commission he has seen this project go through several changes.

“This neighborhood is very historic, and the residents are very active in their community, and they brought up several concerns,” he said.

Residents that attended the meeting addressed several negative components a development like this could bring to their area such as waste issues, and destruction of natural resources such as the trees in the area.

Also there was a consistent concern that college students living at Riverwalk Place might create excess noise.

“While we are not targeting college students to live here, we do suspect that some will decide to stay with us and we will handle all problems accordingly,” Lunsford said.

He said that in an effort to meet residents’ concerns, they have contacted a company about daily waste pickup.

“With a project like this, there comes cost of progress, and we will have to deal with them and monitor all restrictions that may need to be made,” Howard said.

Mayor Walt Maddox said he thinks Riverwalk Place will be a first-class development.

“The concerns of the residents are understandable, but I feel that we will be able to mitigate them,” Maddox said.

“My concern was the public having access to the river and in the plans they have shown that the public will,” he said. “Therefore since they are abiding by the law, we really can’t say no.”

Lunsford said the next step in the construction of Riverwalk Place is the funding, and if the opportunity is available they will apply for small government grants.

“In times as these the funding is an issue, and we are working now to get all of our tenants in place,” he said.