Jerry and Holly Leachman to speak on campus

Jerry Leachman, a former UA linebacker under famed Coach “Bear” Bryant, and his wife Holly will speak to students, faculty and staff this Wednesday evening at the Zone in Bryant-Denny Stadium. The Leachmans will be hosted by The Huddle, a faith-based student organization.

The Huddle brings in different Christian speakers once a semester to share their stories with college students, Lissa Handley Tyson, a student founder of the group, said. Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley came and spoke to the group in March.

“The goal is to have no stereotype or certain kind of ministry but a collection of students who want to learn more about what it looks like to surrender their life to follow Christ from well-known people in our state and country,” Tyson said.

Jerry Leachman, who has spoken all over the country to various prayer groups and was also the NFL chaplain for the Washington Redskins for 15 years, will share his story at 7:30 p.m. in the Zone. In addition to working as an NFL chaplain, Leachman established and directed a children’s mission relief effort in Moscow.

Holly Leachman, who has been mentioned in both Hillary Clinton’s and Laura Bush’s books for her influence in their lives, will hold a girl’s time at the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house at 9 p.m.

She will talk about timeless treasures to strengthen your heart, Tyson said, discussing lessons gleaned from Scripture that students can apply to their lives today.

“Students make a lot of life-changing decisions while on campus that can impact their lives for the better or worse,” Holly Leachman said. “We want to be an encouragement and inspiration to students while we’re there, and we’re looking forward to visiting our old campus once again.”