‘Another physical, tough-ass game’

All season long, Alabama has been a team of destiny.

Despite having one loss, the No. 2 Crimson Tide found itself in position to control its own destiny to reach the national championship game.

With its back against the wall and everything on the line, Alabama responded to big play after big play to defeat No. 3 Georgia 32-28 for the Southeastern Conference Championship.

“I think it’s really a credit to the competitive character of the players,” head coach Nick Saban said. “We tell them that this is kind of what we are training you to do; to have the mental toughness and the physical toughness to overcome adversity and persevere things when they don’t go right in the game and focus on playing the next play.”

Whenever things seemed to be going against them, Alabama lined up and ran straight at the right side of Georgia’s defense, amassing 350 total rushing yards. After struggling to pass for much of the first half, Alabama came out in the second half with two receivers and two tight ends and punished the Bulldogs.

“I told my right guard Anthony Steen ‘we can’t be stopped together,’” right tackle D.J. Fluker said. “Let’s run this ball down their throats and that’s what we did all game.”

Eddie Lacy earned the honor of Most Valuable Player with his 181 yards and two touchdown performance. Lacy averaged an otherworldly 9.1 yards a carry, showing speed, power and toughness throughout the game.

Lacy was spelled by true freshman T.J. Yeldon, who center Barrett Jones called a “50-50 guy” and not a back up. Yeldon racked up 153 yards and a touchdown, averaging 6.1 yards per carry.

And then there was Cooper. With a receiving core decimated by injuries, Alabama has leaned on the true freshman for much of the season. He showcased his talents on the biggest stage of his young career, catching the go-ahead touchdown on a 45-yard strike from quarterback AJ McCarron. Cooper was the only receiver to catch more than two passes and go over 30 yards. He finished the game with seven receptions for 162 yards and the biggest touchdown of his life.

“It’s a dream come true,” Cooper said of performing on the big stage. “This is the stage I dreamed of being on in high school. That’s why I came to Alabama.”

Georgia contained Cooper from beating them deep for most of the game, but he managed to get loose when it mattered most.

“It was a post route with inside release,” Cooper said. “When I released inside, I saw him biting hard. I saw him running fast so I stopped and went vertical. I didn’t really see AJ, so I kinda stopped. Then the ball was in the air and I was like oh crap, I gotta go get it.”

The game wasn’t over yet as Georgia had a final chance to win. Quarterback Aaron Murray dropped back and launched a deep pass that was batted around and appeared to be intercepted by cornerback Dee Milliner. After further review, the play was overturned as replay showed the ball hitting the ground giving Georgia one last glimpse of hope.

Georgia got to the 8 yard line, when Murray dropped back and had his pass tipped by linebacker C.J. Mosley. Wide receiver Chris Conley caught the ball inbounds and the clock expired without the Bulldogs being able to run another play.

“We have a hurry up call we use every day against [our offense] and C.J. came on it and he batted the ball and the guy caught it,” said defensive coordinator Kirby Smart. “Probably a good thing the guy caught it because if not it would have given them another snap. Catching the ball cost them the game.”

Now, after some much needed rest, Alabama turns its focus to No. 1 Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish, led by a stingy defense and a strong running game, have often been compared to SEC teams.

“Another physical, tough-ass game,” Smart said. “They got a great team from what I’ve seen from them.”