In many classes, ‘Dead Week’ is alive with final tests, projects

“Dead Week” often proves much more lively than its nickname may suggest. Many students spend as much time during the period immediately preceding the week of final exams, officially deemed Study Week by the University, with exam booklets as study materials, despite limitations on Study Week testing.

According to the University’s Faculty Handbook, “The week immediately preceding the final examination period each semester is reserved as a time in which students may concentrate on completing course work and preparing for final examinations. Only laboratory examinations omitted from the Final Examination Schedule are permitted during Study Week. The University prohibits all other examinations and extended assignments during Study Week.”

The Fall 2012 Academic Calendar denotes Friday, Nov. 30, as the “last day for all tests, etc.,” but Kristin Clark, a sophomore studying advertising, said her professors don’t always check their calendars.

“I think ‘Dead Week’ is a great concept. No tests, quizzes, etc. – just studying,” she said. “The problem is, my teachers have never followed that protocol. I always end up having work due on ‘Dead Week,’ in combination with tests, which makes it impossible to study for finals during that time.”

According to Mark Nelson, vice president for Student Affairs, some forms of academic assessment are admissible throughout Study Week.

“Some assignments are permitted during Study Week,” he said in an emailed statement. “For example, a standard reading quiz or pop quiz may be administered during this week – the types of things that are part of the standard preparation for class. Likewise, if there is an assignment that requires work throughout the semester, then the due date may be during this week.”

Errin Maye, a junior majoring in English, said she recalls taking final exams during the respective Study Weeks of the fall and spring semesters of her sophomore year. She feels taking exams during “Dead Week,” though not officially allowed, is not entirely negative in nature.

“For you to have exams spread out through the course of the two weeks would be a great thing if you were a lucky one to have the hardest classes during the last part of the exam week. But, most importantly, you are able to focus more,” she said. “For those who are easily overwhelmed with work, you are able to study more for a specific assignment, get more one-on-one help from your professors and book your plane ticket early.”

Maye said exams scheduled outside of their designated week can throw a wrench in students’ calendars, especially those folks booking plane tickets for holiday travel.

“The downside is if you were not able to plan out a study plan, you would have all of Thanksgiving break and the week before Dead Week to truly prepare for the exam. No one wants to study over turkey and gravy,” she said.

Colby Moeller, a freshman majoring in finance, will be flying home for winter break. Thanks to exams available during Study Week, Moeller said he will be able to catch a plane nearly a week early.

“I’ve got online finals in my music appreciation class and my math class, so I can knock those out next week,” he said. “Then I just have to turn in a final paper for English the Monday of Finals Week, and I can go home for break.”

Ultimately, Maye said, students just have to do what it takes to pass their classes and move forward.

“Everyone has their own opinions and experiences, but whatever the professor does and chooses for the placement of the exam, we have no decision but to study, study, study everyday and every chance possible,” she said.

Nelson said students should not feel completely resigned to accept what they perceive as invalid final exam scheduling, although no formal, University-wide system exists for reporting alleged transgressions. Nelson advised students who feel improper scheduling has occurred to approach their professor or department chair for discussion.