Freshman swimmer’s consistency impacts Crimson Tide

By Caroline Gazzara

Contributing Writer

^

Brian Westlake hails from Penryn, Calif. Like many students coming from out of state, Westlake, 19, knew there would be differences. But unlike many students, Westlake is on an athletic scholarship with the Alabama swimming and diving team.

Between the ages of 9 and 10, Westlake began swimming for his local summer swimming program. He also played soccer, but had to choose between the two. He ultimately decided to pursue year-round swimming at the age of 12. Unlike many kids that pick up a sport during middle school or high school, Westlake continued to swim despite competitive schoolwork and other extra curriculars.

“With being in college, you can focus more on swimming compared to when in high school,” Westlake said. “You had to be in school all day and here you can swim, go to class,and then focus on swimming.”

Westlake has kept a very level head toward being the new kid on the team and on campus.

“He has a real refreshing attitude; it’s just like ‘bring it on,’” head coach Dennis Pursley said. “He really enjoys challenges. He responds to challenges, whether it’s in training or in competition. He’s very consistent with his attitude; it’s a very business-like approach.

“He seems to understand that what he’s being asked to do everyday in training is going to help him accomplish and achieve his goals, and he’s just committed to make the most of it. It doesn’t seem to enter his head ‘is this fun’ or ‘do I like this,’ it’s just ‘this is the task at hand, and it’s going to help me achieve my goals.’ He’s a good model in that respect.”

Westlake has racked up quite an extensive list of achievements, including trying out for the Olympic team’s 18 and under group. Westlake also holds five school records at his high school.

“The titles for me weren’t that big of a deal,” Westlake said. “The All-American time was. Competing against the rest of the country [was more important].”

Westlake’s humble attitude toward his titles carries over into his swimming. It doesn’t phase him he’s at one of the top SEC schools or that many would kill for his opportunities. Instead he simply enjoys swimming, hopes to improve over time and wants to give back to the school.

The native Californian is a freestyle swimmer for the Tide. His latest results helped gain Alabama many points in the SEC. Notably, Westlake came in first for his 500-yard freestyle race at the Georgia Tech Invitational. Unlike many of the other competitors that the Tide faced last week, Westlake performed above and beyond what was expected.

“He won under disadvantaged circumstances,” Pursley said. “Most of the teams that we competed against were rested and shaved, so he was not only competitive with them but he finished on top without competing with all the advantages that his competitors had so that made it especially pleasing.”

Though only a freshman, Westlake is a leader by example and gets the results without complaining or questioning anything. His consistency is becoming a staple in the Tide community as well as his love for the sport.

“He enjoys racing and enjoys competing, and it doesn’t matter what the circumstances are,” Pursley said. “Some of the athletes will be mentally focused and kind of into the competition to win, but he just seems to enjoy the competition period. and it doesn’t matter what the circumstances are, and I think that’s why he’s as consistent as he is.”