Announcements for 4/9/2010

Jefferson Avenue closing for construction

The entrance of Jefferson Avenue from University Blvd. will be closed starting on Monday for the construction of the Alpha Tau Omega New Chapter House. The public will have to access Jefferson Avenue by turning onto 2nd Avenue and then turning left onto 4th Street. Jefferson Avenue is the second right, after the left onto 4th Street.

The Huxford Symphony Orchestra performs Concerto & Aria Concert

The UA School of Music presents the Huxford Symphony Orchestra in concert for on Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall of the Moody Music Building. They will be performing “Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber” by Paul Hindemith and “Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68” by Johannes Brahms. Carlton McCreery, UA Professor of Orchestra Studies is the director of the orchestra. The concert is free and open to the public.

Fishtank Ensemble comes to Tuscaloosa

The Fishtank Ensemble, currently on tour across the United States, is bringing its eclectic mix of musical instruments, genres, and personality to Tuscaloosa. Students can hear the group in concert on Wednesday at the Ferguson Theatre. The performance is from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., and it is free and open to the public.

International performer presents Veena concert

International artist Vidvan D. Balakrishna will perform a Veena concert Thursday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Room 205 of Gorgas Library. The UA Asian studies program, Capstone International, New College and University, are sponsoring the concert, which will showcase one of the most ancient musical instruments of India Libraries.

Balakrishna will also offer a lecture demonstration of the Veena on Tuesday from 8:15 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. in the Recital Hall of the Moody Music Building. Both events are free and open to the public.

Smith Hall time capsule to be opened Saturday

To mark the centenary of Smith Hall, UA’s Alabama Museum of Natural History will be opening a time capsule embedded in the building’s cornerstone on May 28, 1907. The time capsule will be opened during a Homecoming celebration from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. The opening will be shown on a large-screen television inside the museum. Randy Mecredy, director of the museum, and UA Museums officials removed the capsule recently from the museum’s cornerstone. The event will mark the opening of an exhibit celebrating 100 years of Smith Hall. Children’s activities will be available.

Lecture series brings ‘Weighing Lives in War’

Thomas Hurka, a professor of philosophy at the University of Toronto, will speak Tuesday on “Weighing Lives in War: When is Collateral Damage Excessive?” at 7:30 p.m. in Room 205 of Smith Hall. His presentation will conclude the UA 2009-10 Philosophy Today lecture series, featuring experts discussing timely and provocative philosophical topics.

‘Morning Joe’ hosts to hold book signing today

UA alumnus Joe Scarborough, co-host of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” will sign his latest book, “The Last Best Hope” in the rotunda of Reese Phifer Hall on Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. His “Morning Joe” co-host, Mika Brzezinski, will also be present to sign her book “All at Once.” Both books will be available for purchase.

Register for 2010-11 parking

Parking registration 2010-11 is now open to all students. For detailed information about parking registration and changes, including some zone changes, for the coming year, visit bamaparking.ua.edu.