Tide duo shines in loss to Ole Miss

The Alabama women’s tennis team fell to No. 18 Ole Miss 4-1 on Sunday. The loss places the Tide at 9-11, 2-8 SEC for the season.

“They are a talented team. We knew it was going to be a fight either way,” said sophomore Courtney McLane. “They played well. Hats off to them.”

After falling in doubles, the Tide was not able to rebound, something head coach Jenny Mainz said was a turning point in the match.

“We had to be the ones to step up and take it from them,” Mainz said. “I felt that Ole Miss came up and took it from us.

Some of the Alabama team came away with a positive from the performance, as their 20th-ranked doubles team of Alexa Guarachi and McLane beat the 13th-ranked Rebels pair of Kristi Box and Karen Nijssen.

“We wanted that one really bad,” Guarachi said.

For the doubles partners, the match up against Box and Nijssen was one that they had anticipated since last fall when the Ole Miss duo got the best of them.

“In the fall, it was an 8-6 battle, and we had that taste in our mouth for a long time,” McLane said. “We came out and took it to them early. We were really proud of our efforts.”

Mainz said the pair has been continuing to better their play throughout the season and that they’ve shown maturity in their play as of late.

“Even though we got off to a really quick 7-1 start, sometimes that’s difficult against a really good team because that team doesn’t feel any pressure,” Mainz said. “I feel like Courtney and Alexa did a good job of finishing there.”

The win will provide confidence for the two, who are almost certainly guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament.

“They have picked up momentum,” Mainz said. “They picked up speed throughout the season. I just think they are playing a higher standard of double.”

Despite the lack of success, Mainz said she’s proud of the effort and work her athletes have shown.

“I told the team after the match that we have gotten better all season and that our record doesn’t always indicate that we have fought hard,” Mainz said. “One of our team goals was to be playing our best at the end of the season, and I think we’re doing that.”

The Tide’s next test will come on the road against Auburn, a match that the Tide feels can make up for its season.

“It is the Iron Bowl of tennis.” McLane said. “I mean, you could have not won a game all season, but it’s a new season when you play Auburn. All that matters is beating Auburn.”

The Tide will look to avenge its season Saturday, April 17 at 6 p.m.

“We are playing for a lot of things, but pride is a big one,” Mainz said. “Auburn is a good team. I think it is going to be a dog fight.”