Crimson Tide gymnasts cruise to victory over LSU

The Alabama gymnastics team opened the home slate of its journey for a third consecutive national championship in front of 13,921 roaring fans in Coleman Coliseum.

The No. 6 Crimson Tide jumped out to an early lead and cruised to a 196.575 – 195.525 victory over No. 5 LSU.

“We have an amazing crowd,” said UA head coach Sarah Patterson. “As I looked up and saw all of the people here, I was really proud for this team. I think they enjoyed the opportunity to compete in front of our fans.”

The Tide improved by more than a full point of its team score of 196.45 in the season opener at Missouri.

Junior Kim Jacob led the way for the Crimson Tide, winning her second all-around in a row with a 39.375. Jacob paced the Tide for second consecutive week after posting a score of 39.275 against Missouri.

“It’s amazing to be able to do all four events,” Jacob said. “I’ve worked really hard to improve on all of my events and show some new skills out there. Hopefully, I can keep improving.”

Alabama built a full one-point lead with a 49.45 score on the vault. Sophomore Kayla Williams and junior Diandra Milliner both tallied scores of 9.925 to open the match.

LSU stumbled on the uneven bars, notching a 48.4.

With scores of 9.9 from Ashley Sledge, Ashley Priess and Sarah DeMeo, Alabama notched a score of 49.325 on the uneven bars.

“I thought we came out on fire in the first two events,” Patterson said. “… But I still don’t think we are where we need to be conditioning wise”

Alabama’s lack of conditioning showed in the final two events. On the balance beam, Alabama scored a 49.050 behind Jacob’s 9.875 and Ashley Priess’ 9.85.

The Tide closed things out with a 48.750 on the floor exercise, where Jacob and DeMeo scored 9.9s to the lead the way for Alabama. The Crimson Tide was forced to count a fall on floor exercise and seemed to run out of gas towards the end.

“It’s really hard to keep up the intensity for all four events,” Jacob said. “Just cheering for each other wears on the body. We just have to keep our energy level up and stay focused.”

LSU (2-1, 1-1 SEC) was forced to count falls on the uneven bars and balance beam (48.650).

The Crimson Tide (2-0, 2-0 SEC) will return to action Friday, Jan. 25 for its ninth-annual Power of Pink meet versus Kentucky at 7:30 p.m. C.T.

Individual Event Winners:

All-Around: Kim Jacob, UA – 39.375

Vault: Kayla Williams, UA; Diandra Milliner, UA – 9.925

Uneven Bars: Sarie Morrison, LSU – 9.925

Balance Beam: Rheagan Courville, LSU – 9.900

Floor Exercise: Kim Jacob, UA; Sarah DeMeo, UA; Lloimincia Hall, LSU – 9.900

Alabama Vault Total- 49.45

LSU Uneven bars Total- 48.4

Alabama Uneven bars Total- 49.325

LSU Vault Total- 49.35

Alabama Balance beam Total- 49.05

LSU Floor exercise Total- 49.125

Alabama Floor exercise Total- 48.75

LSU Balance beam Total- 48.65