FYC, ARC propose ‘UNITY Rave’ event

A sponsor interest meeting to promote a “UNITY Rave” is being held on Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. in Lloyd Hall, Room 38. The event has been proposed by the Association of Residential Communities and the First Year Council as a way to unify the University’s diverse campus.

“We as freshman leaders on campus recognize the divisions between ethnicity, gender, and student groups, greek and non-greek,” said freshman and member of First Year Council Derion Lipford. “The ARC and FYC are making an effort to bring unity within the Capstone between students to bridge the gaps present.”

The campus-based ARC and FYC are looking for sponsors to fund the Rave. Any on-campus organizations, including sororities and fraternities, are encouraged to support the project. Donor levels range from Bronze at $350 to Crimson at $2,000.

In exchange for their generosity, supporter’s names will be featured on the event’s flyers and T-shirts, listed by their donation level. Contributions will help cover artist and venue booking and organizational costs.

“If enough financial support is gathered, a real A-list artist can be expected” Aaron Cosey, a freshman member of the Association of Residential Communities, said.

While no names can be released of the prospective performers, Cosey hinted at the musical expectations of the rave.

“The difference between this rave and others will be like day and night,” he said.

Projected dates for the event lie in April, allowing the event to mark the two-year anniversary of the April 27, 2011 tornados. Twenty percent of the night’s proceeds will go toward the Tuscaloosa Tornado Relief fund.

Admission is planned at $5 for a wristband, and the anticipated location is Foster Auditorium. Any questions about the proposal meeting or the event can be forwarded to Derion Lipford at [email protected], or to Aaron Cosey at [email protected].