Ferguson Center hosts law school career fair Thursday

The University of Alabama’s College of Arts and Sciences will host its Law School Fair on Thursday, Jan. 24th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Ferguson Center ballroom.

Students interested in furthering their education with law school can attend the fair to learn about admissions processes, facts and figures for law schools across the nation, then gauge their ability to apply.

“With the Law School Fair, students have the ability to become comfortable with the admissions specs for the several different law schools that have tables,” Wendy McMillian, director of advising and pre-law advising for the College of Arts and Sciences, said. “And even the night before at 6:30 p.m., students can participate in a mock admissions workshop in Lloyd 222, conducted by the law school admissions deans to have a better sense of the questions to ask at the fair.”

Along with an introduction to admittance procedures, students can also take advantage of the fee waivers that some schools hand out, which cover the application fees. Kaplan, the educational testing service company, will also have a table for a free LSAT prep course, McMillian said.

Other benefits include introductions to law schools such as Samford, Tulane, Faulkner-Jones, Georgia State and The University of Alabama’s own. Jennifer Sims, Assistant Dean for Admission at Samford’s Cumberland School of Law, talked about what she hopes to bring to students at The University of Alabama.

“I hope to showcase the ways that Cumberland’s practical skills approach will prepare its students for the practice of law, and I plan to do that by highlighting our areas of specialization,” Sims said. “I think it’s helpful to make sure that you have the most meaningful conservation with a law school representative, and it can be helpful to bring an updated resume; if that rep can see what you’ve been involved in, it can spark some conversation starters that you might not have thought of, as well.”

Sims said professional goals need to be on the brain for students at the Law School Fair, in addition to looking for the school that will help a student gain the right skill sets and the best academic experience.