Gymnastics meet to honor breast cancer survivors

Shantel Dillard, academic services associate for The University of Alabama student registrar

Diagnosed – March 2012

“Graduation from radiation” – September 2012

What Power of Pink means to her? – “When you’re on the other side of the pink, you try to do what you can to help others and try to understand what they’re going through. But when you’re on this side of the pink, when it actually happens to you, it’s overwhelming. What Sarah and others have done is just overwhelming. When my daddy died of cancer 22 years ago, there was nothing like this. Now, the programs they have for survivors are awesome.”

Caroline Fulmer, assistant professor of consumer services

Diagnosed – May 2005

Bilateral Mastectomy- No radiation, surgery to remove all of her breast tissue on both sides

What Power of Pink means to her? – “Regardless of what the event is that honors breast cancer, I always thought it was a great cause. But when it happens to you, you understand how important the research is, and you understand how important it is to get good local care. The Power of Pink meet has facilitated the opportunity for so many women in West Alabama to have excellent care and top-notch doctors. The Power of Pink is so close to my heart. The first time I went to a pink meet after I was a breast cancer survivor and they asked all the survivors to stand, I couldn’t stand. Now I stand proudly.”

Pam Washington, secretary to Tuscaloosa’s chief of police

Diagnosed – March 2011

“Graduation from radiation” – May 2011

What Power of Pink means to her? – “For me, it’s almost like another Christmas. To be able to recognize that as another day to celebrate is sort of like Christmas. All of the different breast cancer awareness events are like Christmas for me. You get to see all of the people support you, thousands and thousands of people supporting you, it’s like opening presents. How great is that?”

This Friday, 18 survivors will be honored prior to the meet, including Ann Wilhide Dziadon and Allie Green Hayes, members of Sarah and David Patterson’s first recruiting class. Dziadon, Hayes and David Patterson’s mother, Shirley Cook will be joined by Bonita Anderson, Jessica Bailey, Kayce Bell, Amy Crossland, Shantel Dillard, Caroline Fulmer, Coleen Kern, Judy McCrory, Donna McJenkins, Vicki Santina, Ivette Steadman, Pam Washington, Doris West, Jane Wilson and Akeba Vester.

A total of 18 breast cancer survivors were introduced alongside the gymnasts and coaches prior to the 2010 Alabama-Arizona meet on Feb. 19, including David Patterson’s mother, Shirley Cook, Becca Alexin’s aunt, LeAnn Cannon, and Ashley Sledge’s aunt, Patricia Davis. Those three were joined in the spotlight on the floor of Coleman Coliseum by Linda Bell, Verta Barr Meherg, Ann Webb, Doris Weems, Lucille Ducarpe, Donna Farmer, Donna Galloway, Priscilla Hutchins, Vicki Pendley, Shelley Michaels, Carol Moore Smith, Catherine Morton, Sandra Keith, Linda Plowman Fikes and Joan Spiller Ashcraft. Two at a time, gymnast and survivor, their names were called with fireworks exploding each time, adding additional poignancy to an already inspirational night.

In 2011, prior to the Tide’s seventh annual Power of Pink/Drive 4 the Cause meet, 18 survivors were again introduced and honored, including Ann Wilhide Dziadon, a member of Sarah and David Patterson’s first recruiting class and a four-year cancer survivor. Dziadon and David Patterson’s mother, Shirley Cook, were joined by Doris Weems, Lucille Ducarpe, Brenda Hill, Beverly Laird, Jo Davis, Carol Smitherman, Ellie Duncan, Kim Wolbach, Linda Ogletree, Judy Livingston, Lynn Purser, Regena Payne, Lynn Giles, Pat Toxey, Kristy Miley and Charlotte Harris.

The 2012 survivors, honored prior to the Alabama-Arkansas meet on Feb. 18 included Paulette Dillard, Shirley Cook, Lynn Purser, Jami Patrick, Rebecca Depiazza, Kate Brinkley, Maggie Lee, Peggy Reed, Joann Barden, Vicki Santina, Beverly Nickerson, Jean Each, Jan Livingston Leopard, Shiann Norris, Josephine Hollins, Kay Corbin, Lucille Decarpe and Carol Sue Jenkins.