The Million Dollar Band has more resources than any other school

LettersIn response to “UA: Million Dollar Band, AU: $11 Million Band”

As a former member of the Million Dollar Band, I marched for four and a half years and completely understand where the current member who was interviewed in the article is coming from.

I’ve gone to Arby’s for a restroom or water break, practiced in the rain using a shopping bag to keep my hair from getting ruined, and I’ve even had to find an open room in Moody Music Building to change and primp for a performance. But if you ask me, it’s all part of the experience.

We have traveled to many different schools and had a chance to socialize with other bands. I have heard from every single one how good we have it in the Million Dollar Band.

When traveling we didn’t have to pay for our own transportation or raise money, every member received per diem for food on trips even when food prior to the game is provided, we have our own crew of band managers that move our larger equipment for us in our own equipment truck and we don’t have to raise money for our uniforms.

As far as water breaks are concerned, we have Gatorade and water available at every practice and are provided with a water bottle at the start of every year to bring with us to practice. On extremely hot days or rainy days the athletic department allows the band to use the indoor practice facility that the team also uses.

We also have access to our own personal trainers for injuries or illness that we may sustain and have a huge support staff of assistant directors. Also, we are able to have our music arranged by renowned composers.

If the person who was interviewed looked a little closer at the reason for Auburn’s need for a new facility, it’s because they were forced to move due to campus expansion and they have to raise, as an organization, $14 million because the athletic department is only providing $1.2 million in funding. These extravagant plans may not even come to fruition. Also, the new facility will be further away from the stadium and the members will have to carry their equipment there.

As a member of the colorguard, I know all too well about having to find a place to practice that wasn’t muddy or too small, but we always found a place if needed. Of course there are improvements that can be made in every organization on campus, because that’s the nature of evolving as a group, but we are far from being downtrodden and mistreated, or having money withheld from our group.

There are many programs (even AU) that wish they have our resources. It is why we don’t play “Keep up with The Jones” at The University of Alabama, we set the standard. The day that I find myself thinking anything at AU is superior to Alabama will be the day I yell, “W.D.E” and lose hope in all that is good in this world. Roll Tide!

Alesia Pruitt is a former member of the Million Dollar Band and a 2008 alumna of The University of Alabama.

Also in today’s Crimson White:

[Opinion] Law-abiding students should be able to bear arms

Facebook friends leave real life requests pending

MDB’s Gym Jammers help create atmosphere