Local theatre puts spotlight on cliques, politics; not talent

LindlyIf you’ve lived in Tuscaloosa for more than 10 minutes, you’ve probably noticed how involved in theatre this city is. Weekly, there is no shortage of musicals performed by any number of local high schools or colleges.

No one can call Tuscaloosa citizens “uncultured.” But when I think of the theatre scene, the words that come to my mind are “politics” and “nepotism.”

I grew up in this city, and I’ve been acting locally since I was in third grade. Theatre camps kept me busy during the summer, and I was excited during the school year to try out for the city’s children’s musicals. However, year after year I saw talented young actors turned away in favor of people who had been in the program practically since birth.

I understand casting the same people because they are talented, but I couldn’t ever wrap my head around newcomers never landing the lead roles.

I’m not talking about myself here. I’m mainly concerned with those who work extremely hard to even audition and are turned down because they are new in town or because their parents didn’t donate enough money to the theatre program.

It is unfair and political. I am not sure if this “system” will change any time soon if no one does anything to challenge it. I have even seen shows where directors have pre-casted roles simply because they had a certain actor in mind, and obviously no one better could possibly come along in the audition process.

(See also “UATD show features lighthearted adult humor”)

I have seen less-than-brilliant actors cast in lead roles simply because it was their “last hurrah” and would not have a chance to land one otherwise. Meanwhile, others who may have not paid as many dues in the community were totally overlooked.

Removing prejudices and biases is easier said than done, I realize, but if the theatre community doesn’t start now they will permeate future generations. Ideally, roles in production would be based on merit, but the political aspect discourages those not in the ‘inner circle’ from even trying.

Don’t get me wrong. I honestly do love watching the shows this city puts on. I’ve seen some productions in my years here that I feel could rival professional touring companies.

But as an outsider and someone who never quite accustomed herself to the cliques of Tuscaloosa theatre, I would like to see some changes in its social order. Most people get involved in the arts to escape the ostracizing atmosphere of high school and middle school, not to just enter a different one under a new name. If a more accommodating, friendly nature that kept talent in mind was adopted, then perhaps more young actors could find their place in this city.

[Opinion] Praise for women in America who make themselves

[Opinion] Police your own – greeks shouldn’t be afraid to speak up

Women’s golf team must replace Pancake