Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers offer lessons, dances

The Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers will host a Valentine’s Dance Friday, Feb. 8 in Smith Hall. A dance lesson will be given at 6 p.m. followed by the dance from 7 to 10 p.m.

Founded in 2007 by Jimmy Kunz and his wife Jennifer Graham Kunz, the CTBD offer free dance lessons every Sunday at 3 p.m. in the gym of Calvary Baptist Church, Evan Blitzer, president of the CTBD, said.

“Anyone, any age, can dance and join the group if they have an interest to dance,” he said. “We have lots of members from high school students to adults.”

To join the CTBD, anyone who wants to dance must attend an event and fill out a liability form, Blitzer said.

“We recommend that students wear shoes with a back, not flip-flops, and with leather soles if possible,” Shannon Robinson, vice president of the CTBD, said. “Our lessons are very casual, and the dress code for each of our dances is either casual or semi-formal and can be found on our website.”

Robinson, who has been a member of the CTBD since January 2012, said she was introduced to the CTBD by a few friends who had attended the free dance lessons and invited her to join.

“Students who attend the events can expect to improve their dance skills with beginner lessons and to enjoy dancing with their fellow students,” she said. “There is no experience necessary to participate in any of our events.”

(See also “Valentine’s Day destinations for students”)

The CTBD is made up of 945 members, with 400 regularly active, Jennifer Graham Kunz, co-founder of the CTBD, said. Each month, the CTBD offers free dance lessons and holds a themed dance.

“We have a Valentine’s Dance [this month],” she said. “Students can expect to have a great time, learn to dance, do line dances, meet new friends and fellowship with all. We also offer complimentary single or group pictures for all that we post to our Facebook page.”

Dances cost $5 for students and include refreshments as well as the one-hour beginner lesson before the dance, Robinson said.

“CTBD thrives to bring ballroom and swing dancing to our students at the UA and other schools in the areas as well as others in our community,” Kunz said.

For more information on the CTBD, visit CTBD.org or visit the Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers Facebook page.

Tide tennis looks to carry intensity of last week into doubleheader

Under Potter, Tide ready to defend national title

Tough schedule awaits defending national champions