Cyclists, drivers should respect the rules of the road

I am a graduate student in geology at the University who lives off-campus and rides a bike to work every day. I ride east-west on Paul Bryant and University Boulevard. Even after adhering to all the proper etiquette on the road, I still sometimes feel unsafe on these “shared” roadways.

After tornados and shootings have claimed the lives of its student body, the last thing this University needs is a dead cyclist. This is a real concern. I have almost been hit quite a few times by texters.

If you are a cyclist and would like to ride on the road, then you had better follow these simple rules if you want any respect. Likewise, if you drive and don’t want to kill any cyclists, you should follow a similar set of rules:

Cyclists should not: a.) text and ride, b.) ride on the left side of the road against oncoming traffic (especially on University or on campus in the bike lanes- this is especially unpredictable and angering to cyclists and drivers), c.) pass cars on the right, d.) run stoplights and signs.

Drivers should not: a.) text and drive, b.) yell or honk at cyclists, for that is extraordinarily dangerous and idotic, c.) pass cyclists really quickly right before a red light.

Fast rabbits driving to and from work generally need to slow down! Increasing your speed beyond the limit posted on signs doesn’t really get you there any faster. The stoplights will give time for the slow and steady turtle to catch up anyway, so why make the road more dangerous? Just chill out. Leave earlier in the morning so you’re not late.

To the pedestrian: You always have the right of way. Good for you, but watch out for drivers/cyclists who turn corners while texting. And you should not walk out into the street while texting. Did anyone ever teach you to look both ways?

Brandon Lutz is a graduate student in geological sciences.

Cultural drama reinforces themes of friendship, loyalty

[Opinion] Tobacco ban inhibits free will, relationships formed

Women join a cappella group