For last weeks of winter, move away from extravagant patterns, textures

These past couple of months, I have decided to take on a fun little style experiment. My wardrobe is usually drenched in a plethora of patterns and textures, but I have experienced a fashion cleansing of sorts and I am back to the basics. I let go of my over-accessorized looks, once bathed in polka-dots and bangles, and stuck with a few key pieces that make getting ready a breeze.

Let’s be real, I don’t have a Phillip Lim bag, and I probably won’t ever have a Phillip Lim bag. But, for example’s sake, I have prepared a modest representation of a classic go-to class uniform for when creativity is lacking and the cold weather isn’t. Maybe it will help my fellow fashionistas get through these last few weeks of winter. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to break out my pastels and denim cut-offs.

Black skinnies have been the pants at the top of my drawer and never at the bottom of my laundry hamper. Black jeans can go days without washing, right? I find them easy to slip on when I’m feeling a little extra edge is needed in my ensemble and denim just won’t do.

You can never go wrong with the oversized sweater and oxford shirt combination. It keeps you looking put-together and billows over insecurities. Try buttoning the oxford all the way to the top to take away from the frump you may experience from an oversized sweater.

A lacy, black bra is just a little somethin’ somethin’ to feel feminine when draping yourself with balloon-ish proportions. Plus, it’s almost Valentine’s day.

An oversized tote is a perfect substitute to your usual Jansport circa 4th grade. It’s big enough for any laptop, binder, or moleskine, but may leave a substantial indention on your right shoulder. For the sake of a completed outfit, work the bag.

Dainty jewelry seems to work well with knits and doesn’t get caught in the weaving. Geometric rings and bangles are a fun and easy way to add just the right amount of accessory to a class outfit.

I think my H&M black booties have been my most-worn shoe this winter. The heel is the perfect height for traipsing around campus and clacking on tile floors. I love clacking. Plus, they kind of double as rain boots as they stand their ground in a substantially sized puddle.

I understand beanies are “a thing,” but I like pom-poms. When walking with an added bounce on top of my head, it seems to balance out the grown-up minimalist look of black on black on white.

Leading in today’s Crimson White:

Football players’ victim speaks out after arrest

UA representatives visit Arlington to honor vets

Bicycle theft common crime on campus, recovery difficult