New art-driven show highlights Alabama artists

WVUA plans to premiere a new art-driven television show, “Alabama Art Seen,” on Wednesday, Feb. 13. This student-produced program will exhibit the many different kinds of artists living and working in the state of Alabama.

The half-hour segment currently has three episodes set to air at 7 p.m. on Feb. 13, 20 and 27. Created by UA faculty and produced by media students, the program will highlight artists and musicians of Alabama while providing the students behind the camera with hands-on professional experience in the television industry.

UA professors Nick Corrao and Hank Lazer both wanted to profile and promote the arts in Alabama. The collaboration of the two ultimately paved the way for the television show, which is produced and hosted by students. Corrao’s TCF 451 advanced TV production class produces the program, with Corrao working as executive producer.

“We produce one or two episodes a semester,” Corrao said. “The students begin the semester by researching and pitching segment ideas. These ideas are then voted on by the class and three are selected for each episode. Small production teams are formed within the class, and these teams are responsible for scheduling, filming and editing their segments with their artist subjects.”

The producers of the show also hope for a positive contribution to local art by way of exhibition and audience interest. By getting the word out about local artists, the goal is to raise awareness in the audience while bringing notoriety to artists around the state.

“We wanted to give the public exposure to all of the different types of arts happening in the state, with the aim of growing the excitement and investment in the arts here in Alabama,” Corrao said. “I hope that [the audience] is exposed to different artists and art forms that they didn’t know existed here in Alabama, and more importantly that the show inspires them to seek out more of these artists and art forms. Getting involved either creatively or as a supportive member of the arts community is a tremendously rewarding experience.”

(See also “WVUA-TV helps puts students ahead of game”)

In providing students with the opportunity to work on a commercially broadcast television program, the creators of “Alabama Art Seen” strive to facilitate real world experience for the students involved while giving them a chance to grow in a professional media environment.

Lazer, the Creative Campus executive director, is optimistic of the many possibilities associated with this new television program and what it could potentially do for a student’s career.

“[Alabama Art Seen] is yet another example of the amazing opportunities for students to do original work at UA,” Lazer said. “Work that will be seen on a commercial TV station and that will most definitely enhance the students’ career opportunities.”

Corrao said he also feels strongly about what students stand to gain by working on this program.

“What [the students] accomplish over the course of one semester is very impressive,” Corrao said. “And those experiences and skills translate directly to the jobs that they will have working for television production crews when they graduate.”

For students, this provides the opportunity to gain experience by simply signing up for a TCF class and aiding in the production of the show. Along with being given a participatory role in the projects, students are able to take leadership roles within a true industry setting.

“It truly is a unique opportunity that has given us a tremendous amount of valuable experience in our field,” Lauren Jacobs, student producer said. “We get to say that we made a TV show that’s currently on-air. How cool is that?”

The show has a tentative schedule set for March and students are encouraged to sign up for the class if they are interested in learning about the ever-changing television industry.

Graduate student’s art evokes echoes visually 

Four Alabama players arrested on Monday

Wussy’s album ‘Popular Favorites’ a solid, free sample of independent rock